Northern Ireland Running

1 to 20 of 20,133 messages
16/12/2004 at 15:35
Hi James - I studied in Coleraine for three years some years ago. I have been planning a visit in the Summer and would love to do an event there. Please let us know if any races are around this summer.

Hoose:O)
16/12/2004 at 16:36
Don't live in NI now James - but do miss the place and the clean air - let alone visits to Bushmills!

I graduated in 1989 - so 15 years ago now. I know the Uni has expanded. I did apply for a research post over there but didn't even get an interview. Not doing too bad with the fags now(really hate them) as plodding has become more important.

Yeh if you hear of anything in the summer I'd be grateful:O)
16/12/2004 at 16:37
Limivady sounds a possibility -depends on'tother 1/2 gettin time off:O)
16/12/2004 at 16:53
Well doin' my first race in feb Alsager 5 and Staffs 1/2 Mara in about March but nowt before:O)

Hopefully we'll get a flight from Birmingham to get over - train and ferry is too longer distance!
16/12/2004 at 17:04
enjoy yer plod:O)
19/12/2004 at 06:47
Morning man usually James but joining local club in newe year to "get me out". 7 miles in 50 is good. Could've managed it once and maybe again now got back into it - but I'm kicking on a few numbers. Got a 5 miler this am:O)
20/12/2004 at 16:11
Ironman - a dream for me - past it now I reckon:O(

Yesterdays run went fine 5 miles in 42 mins - not too bad for a 45 year old 14 stone smoker. I am building up now!

Tell ya Castlerock wouldn't be bad for ploddind I guess. Some lovely countryside around there. Wouldn't like to do any swimming in the Bann though -oooh:O)

Good ploddings:O)
20/12/2004 at 16:57
Tell the truth I can't tell the difference James -praps coz of the fags - always harder for me. I am up like a shot in the mornings - two cups of tea a fag(alright 2!) and I'm off. I am however slightly faster in the afternoons. Don't know owt about POWERbreath although 'tother 1/2s is quite powerful first thing:O))
21/12/2004 at 17:24
sort of James but decided to go the whole hog after Christmas pressure over:O) Blimey I wish I could do your schedule:O))
21/12/2004 at 19:48
Just thought i'd say hello from Co Down. I'm having a bit of a rest from road running right now (47 with crumbling knees) and am doing most of my running up in the Mournes. No traffic, beautiful scenery and times don't matter!If you don't mind wet feet give it a go.
22/12/2004 at 09:23
James have you tried www.niathletics.org, it has a very comprehensive fixture list.

I admire your training times, I am sure you can get a good time this May Day, especially with the new supposedly faster marathon route.

I did it as my first marathon this year (I live in Belfast) and finished in just over 5 hours. I'm hoping to stay below that mark this year.
22/12/2004 at 14:19
Hi James just droped in to see how your thred was going glad to see you are still training hard. It makes it easier if you have a goal to aim for. See you on Monday you'll be glad to know its only 4.5 miles and not 5.5 miles
22/12/2004 at 16:53
James it's quite likely that your trainers have lost their cushioning after using them for nearly a year.

As for the Belfast Marathon, I might actually consider it although I was also thinking about Dublin. I am back after injury to doing around 15 miles per week in total and I think it would be a good basis to start to build up from. (plus a mate was keen to run it too)

Do you do any speedwork and if so, what?
22/12/2004 at 16:55
Race starts at 11.00 on Monday, entry fee £3. Sales also start on Monday if you want a new pair of trainers, that is if Santa doesn't bring you a pair. I'll enter Glenariff on the day.
22/12/2004 at 19:09
Anybody interested in fell running should contact the Northern Ireland Mountain Running Association. They can give you plenty of advice, fixture lists and training days. There is a fell race over the Mournes but it is a very serious two day affair.Bit too much for me i'm afraid. I might do the Glenariff myself if the Knees hold together. If you pass a middle aged, overweight and balding fella who looks in a lot of pain, say hello - it's probably me. Tell santa to bring you Inov8's- They are brilliant.
27/12/2004 at 18:34
Hi James Hope you had a nice xmas - In the Mournes you need fell shoes for stepping out the car. Get up there and have a go. When it comes to fell races, who gives a toss about being good, just have fun. It's funny, my wife can't wait to get rid of me for two days....
28/12/2004 at 17:47
Hello from Lisburn - I'm not training for anything in particular at the moment but might try the Belfast Marathon. If I haven't frozen by then, early morning runs this weather are no fun!

Mrs Taz
28/12/2004 at 18:38
lisburn runner here too!!!!
suppose i should be lisburn runner and not belfast runner as my login name.
neil
29/12/2004 at 13:51
Hi Neil - Do you run with a club? Just being nosey..

Mrs Taz
29/12/2004 at 18:22
no i dont Mrs TAZ.
still very much a plodder,10 minute miler.
usual run 3.5 - 4 miles 3/4 times a week around pond park/prince william/ballymacash area or hillsboro park.
maybe consider a club when my fitness/ability is improved.
how about you?

neil
1 to 20 of 20,133 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.