Off road/trail Marathon

recommendations?

21 to 35 of 35 messages
09/01/2013 at 18:02

Marc ,Hi I did the Trail Marathon Wales in Coed Y brenin last June and thoroughly enjoyed it. The views were stunning ,it was a good mix of track trail,fields,woodland etc. there is a full and half marathon but im not sure if they have filled up yet. its in a great mountain bike centre so families can cycle too , do Go Ape,or visit the coast.. well organised.sorry not experienced any others tho. I'll check out others on here too. 

09/01/2013 at 20:38

cool, i did see that on the race calender, its not far to travel for me either.

10/01/2013 at 08:18

Another one who would recommend lakeland trails. The consiston marathon is a tough course but you really do get some amazing views!

A cheaper option is the Long Distance Walkers Association events. I did the Anglezarke Amble (25 miles) a few years a go and for a tenner they provide biscuits, drinks and sweets on route, and hot pot and rice pudding at the end. It is a great route and takes in Rivington Pike, Winter Hill, Darwen Tower and Great Hill. Hills aren't really that big but there is a good bit of bogs to get you muddy.

WiB
10/01/2013 at 08:59

3 Forts on the South Downs in May is another one.

WiB
10/01/2013 at 13:26

I've done south downs twice before, and also parts of the Way on the South Downs Relay.
I can definitely recommend it.
Also did the Neolithic marathon a few years ago (Avebury - Stonehenge), another beauty.
Not done it, but Kielder was recommended as were the Lakeland series of events (I holiday in the Lakes and run there when I get the chance, but too far to go for a race)
That said I did do the 10 peaks two years ago, I think they now do a shorter option, plus a series in Wales for the first time. (Google '10 peaks')
I believe the Wales trail marathon is our club marathon excursion this year, sadly I'm not running it though.

Enjoy!!

10/01/2013 at 18:13

Can`t you just plot out your own 26.2 mile run Marc...

17/01/2013 at 17:22

I did Kielder as my first trail marathon last year, and can't recommend highly enough. Beautiful scenery, good trail surfaces, perfect organisation, enthusiastic volunteers, enough up and down to be testing without ever being too daunting or painful. 

17/01/2013 at 17:34
Roland McCartney wrote (see)

Can`t you just plot out your own 26.2 mile run Marc...

i do regularly, but i'd like to do an organised event, 

33riggins wrote (see)

I did Kielder as my first trail marathon last year, and can't recommend highly enough. Beautiful scenery, good trail surfaces, perfect organisation, enthusiastic volunteers, enough up and down to be testing without ever being too daunting or painful. 

i'm leaning more and more toward this one, the website is all last year though, is there anywhere to sign up for this year?? or do i just need to keep waiting.

17/01/2013 at 21:28

I intend on doing kielder this year, looks perfect.

17/01/2013 at 21:30

Apparantly entries open next month.

19/01/2013 at 18:34
Another classic which won't be too far from you is Man V Horse in Llanwrtyd wells, Powys. Fab organisation, signs, marshals etc but flipping tough course.
20/01/2013 at 15:54

Kielder is fantastic - I did it 2012 as my first marathon, it was glorious and really well organised.

21/01/2013 at 01:31
The trionium events are excellent. Someone's already mentioned the Greensand, I did it last year. It's tough but very rewarding.mits encouraged me to try my first ultra ths year. Gotta love those trails!
21/01/2013 at 02:00

I'm doing the Lakeland trails Cartmel 18k then the Lakeland Coniston Marathon. First time doing a race or even a Marathon but prefer trail running to roads, good luck which ever event/race you pick Marc

11/03/2013 at 13:45

Another positive recommendation for Lakeland Trails Coniston Marathon... Did it last year - great route / great organisation. Course gets harder as it goes round!

A few others not yet mentioned...

Meon Valley Plod - cant rate this highly enough... 21 miles but hard as nails. Well worth a look.

North Downs Way - my local!

Three Mole Hills - mixed terrain but takes in Box Hill and is very well organised.

And one I havent done but plan to next year...

Pen-y-Fan (The Fan Dance)

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 35 of 35 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.