OK, If I am VLM reject...any advice on what to enter next!

advice on marathons...

21 to 29 of 29 messages
03/10/2009 at 13:53
That looks good, but didn't fancy the two laps thing....too easy to cut it short!
03/10/2009 at 20:49
Know what you mean dibbers, not keen on that myself.  But the deed is done.  Main reason for choosing it was that it was in April.  Worried that May may be too hot.  Hate running in hot weather, and it would be worrying me all through my training.
04/10/2009 at 07:24
I know it's a lot later in the year (end of October) but my first was Snowdonia.  If you only ever do one marathon it has to be Snowdonia.  Enough people not to be small but without the vast crowds of runners at the big ones.  Great organisation, incredible scenery, awesome course and plenty of supporters lining the route through the villages.
04/10/2009 at 09:05
Is Brighton full? I know there was alot of popular demand for it, If so considering i earn pretty poor money which would be the better Marathon to enter Edinbourgh or Paris?
04/10/2009 at 09:38
My alternative for the last few years has been the Neolithic.  Not for anyone who's main aim is a fast time, and maybe not the best first marathon as the course is largely off road and considerably tougher than London, including hills and rough, stony and rutted tracks.  On the other hand if you like getting out into the country then you pass through an amazing range of landscapes.  There's also something about running from Avbury to Stonehenge via a couple of other ancient monuments...  Support is sparse, but enthusiastic, and everyone is friendly (they hold a walk, half marathon, cani cross and mountain bike events on the same course on the same day).  Great finish with an announcer cheering you in and free food.  And free entry to Stonehenge if you have the energy!  Generally very well organised though the mile markers have been eratic the last couple of years.  Chip timed and nice medal.
04/10/2009 at 11:38
Windermere is fine for us plodders, the cut-off is about eight hours I think, I managed 4.50 last year as a first-timer and I was not on my own or even near to last.   The support from locals as we passed through the villages was great.  Don't let the hills put you off, they're not that bad and most people walk up the steepest ones.
04/10/2009 at 11:49

Stratford is nice. As is Paris.

Edinburgh is also worth considering - thats the one I'll be doing as my VLM backup.

K9
04/10/2009 at 16:48

Another vote for Edinburgh

It was cool and drizzling the year I did it

04/10/2009 at 21:07

Edinburgh sounding good...and what are you mad people doing, hilly and off-road marathons, this is a new thought for me, I was only imagining the big road races! I am rather fancying the Windermere one now....

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 29 of 29 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.