ok to train the next day after a race

4 messages
14/10/2002 at 15:13
Just wondering what everyones views . Did the Kingston 8 miler yesterday, and after the race felt fine. I'm entered a race next Sunday which is a 10 miler.
So what I would like to know is do I run/cross train tonight or not ?
Please be gentle as I'm a relative new to all this, BTW my time was 1hr12min for the 8 miler at a8:45 /mile pace with a hr at 163 bpm and I'm 35.
14/10/2002 at 15:24
Probably not, would be the best advice, unless:

1. 8:45 is your normal or not much faster than your normal training pace, and you ran the race in an "easy" time.

2. 163bpm is less than 85%ish of your MHR

3. Your HR this morning was within a couple of bpms of your normal.

If so, an easy recovery run tonight would not do much harm. Otherwise treat yourself to a rest - you deserve it for a good time in your race.
14/10/2002 at 15:36
Thanks Nessie
163 is less then 85% which is 168, I set my HRM at betwenn 80% and 85% and off I ran, though thought I could have gone a bit quicker.
Did a half marathon early this year with 70%-75% and I was doing 8:20 a mile, but I was trainging for the FLM at the time
WildWill    pirate
14/10/2002 at 15:48
I quite often do - but it is normally in the form of a recovery swim or maybe swimming drills – I try not to run the next day especial if I’ve raced a 10k or a fast 10-miler – too much pain from Lactic Acid – The swimming helps (Even the day after a Tri)

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.