Olympic Marathon, London 2012

what's the course going to be?

7 messages
14/07/2005 at 21:32

Wonder what route the 2012 Olympic Marathon will follow?

It's a shame that they can't re-use the route from Windsor Castle to White City where the 26.2 miles became the distance for the first time.

I'm not sure of the distances involved . . can it start in front of Buckingham Palace on The Mall and finish at the Olympic Stadium or is that too far?

And will they have a practise run beforehand that we can enter . . as they did in Sydney in 2000 . . and if they do . . what's the betting you've got to raise loads for charidee to get a place?

Any thoughts?
15/07/2005 at 00:10
Is there a sufficient area for pens, baggage, changing etc on the Mall? Also the current start has 3 different starting points - how would they manage that starting in central London?

Interesting question though. One to think about.
15/07/2005 at 08:19
I saw a map about 6 months ago which suggested twice round the city centre taking in sights like the embankment and Buck House. Then off to the Olympic Stadium for the finish.
15/07/2005 at 08:23
Oh No, it's 3 laps, I hate laps.

London 2012 Marathon Route
15/07/2005 at 10:58
Good job you're not running it then, isn't it?
15/07/2005 at 14:13

thanks Bogtrotter . . you've just prevented months of idle yet fruitless speculation ;)

shame we can't have a Forum Feed Station at Mudchute though innit . .
15/07/2005 at 17:11
Now that's an idea Rich (not Mudchute, obviously)!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.