Opinions on a race memento please.

21 to 40 of 87 messages
22/01/2013 at 15:10

In all honesty, for a tenner if you put on a decent, well organised race with accurate timing, results, adequate drink supply, etc. I think that would be good value for money.

How about a nice bar of chocolate, choccy milkshake or a banana at the end?  And cake.  I like cake.

22/01/2013 at 15:11

Got too many shirts, and medals don't mean anything to me - I keep my bibs.  Most useful things I've had are a decent camelbak water bottle and a clip on luminous / flashing light strip.

22/01/2013 at 15:18

I'd like a photo.  Not sure that I would use a kit bag but it prefereble to a cotton t-shirt

22/01/2013 at 15:19

Aye - cake always goes down well here.

22/01/2013 at 15:23

I like cake at the end and I know of a local race that put on a pint and a slice of cake at the end but i would have just been happy with the cake. I am also a fan of mugs with a race name and date on it. Something practical.

22/01/2013 at 15:31

Do you really think that the people 'who expect something' wouldnt enter if there wasnt a momento?

Anf if they dont, so what?

22/01/2013 at 15:34

We are giving away tech tshirt and a medal 

Both are good quality and unique if you dont like or want them give em back

22/01/2013 at 15:36
Giving away ? So you have costed them into the entry fee ? So you could knock a fiver off then
22/01/2013 at 15:41

It is something we thought about but from a personal point of view I run a tough marathon I want something to show for it.

we have spent ages trying to please everyone so I thought this race is my idea what would I like?

Good medal, good T. Thats what everyone gets, and some freebies we can blag. If people dont like that idea dont enter or give the items back

Edited: 22/01/2013 at 15:42
22/01/2013 at 15:47

If race organisers actually showed the cost of all these things, eg £3 out of £15, and gave entrants the option (which we know wouldnt be practical) I think they would be surprised at just how few people give a monkeys about 'momentos'.

22/01/2013 at 15:53

Dave, absolutely not, the photographer has only come on board this year.  The race has gone up because we were running at a loss. We sinply couldnt afford to stage it.  And tbh we only just made a tiny profit at that last year.  

22/01/2013 at 15:54
So the photographer is paying you ?
22/01/2013 at 15:54
Best 10k memento I got was a ice cold 500ml bottle of beer at the finish. It was superb and all that more enjoyable after the run than a medal. Tell you something it was appreciated by the majority of finishers. Go with that, you'll get them back next year as well........ Lol.
22/01/2013 at 15:55

Logistical nightmare at most races. Though a lot of people arent that fussed but some of us are I like medals I like a good quality T.

From a RD point of view. T shirts make sense something you can run in. Mobile (although not on grand scale) advertising.

Why bother pleasing everyone. Its not worth the effort.A race says you get this and that a lot of people will be happy some wont. Thsi is the entry fee pay or not if tyou want free run round the park.

22/01/2013 at 15:58
I should have done Helsby at the weekend, you get the option to buy a tech T shirt momento rather than just built into the entry fee
22/01/2013 at 16:00

No he's not paying us, Im not sure what your getting at?  The fee went up last year as we hadnt it up in years and it is the only way the race could survive. It costs a lot of money to stage.  The photgrapher is a local company who has offered to take pics on the day.  Having a photo was a memento was an idea that was bandied about today. An attempt to make it a bit more intersting than a T shirt that no-one want 

22/01/2013 at 16:02

We have looked at the cost of the Tech Tees and for us its a long way out of our budget.  If given a massive pot then that would be the first choice 

So if the photographer is taking 500 photos and posting them out to the runners it's costing someone some money that could have gone into the overall budget
Go with the beer!!!
22/01/2013 at 16:05

Donna I feel for you dont get into an argument about it. Everyone will have different thoughts on it. I think its good idea some dont. Try it for the first year if it doesnt work change or ditch 

SHHIMPLES

21 to 40 of 87 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.