outdoor running

21 to 27 of 27 messages
18/09/2009 at 13:15

I'm grateful to be a bloke, and live in an area where I have no concerns at all about being out in the dark on my own (well, other than turning my ankle in a pot-holed lane.

Every club I've had contact with have welcomed runners of all standards, so i wouldn't worry about that. Some which call themselves ........A.C. might be a bit more elitist (though probably not), but any that call themselves Joggers/Harriers/Runners etc. will almost certainly be welcoming.

They are also a good place to meet people who might want to pair up as running buddies to run on other days of the week.

18/09/2009 at 13:38

Aphro - have you tried www.runningpartners.org.uk ?

19/09/2009 at 15:58
Teuchter - yes I have tried runningpartners.org.uk. Reading through the list and taking all things into account I found one potential partner (if you look, many have not logged onto the site in over a year!) I think I many contact that person but have decided that for now it would be best to wait into I actually move, which is next weekend. However, I appreciate everyone's suggestions and certainly have a lot to think about. I will let everyone know how I get on!
21/09/2009 at 11:58
Good luck with that Aphro.... yes, I noticed that many of the entries are out-of-date; I guess it's a critical mass thing... there's another one.... afaabd.com, but it suffers frrom the same problem, and is more general in scope.
13/11/2009 at 07:49
I'm in my second year of uni, and agree totally that as a young female you feel a lot more vulnerable about badly-lit roads at night, especially when there's no pavements and the local drivers seem to not give a monkeys about runners! I bought hi-vis gear and joined the uni running club this year, and having people to run with is so motivational! There are sessions scheduled every evening, but I just go to the ones that fit with my training plan and workload. So much better than being stuck in the gym watching bargain hunt alone like last winter! and we're training towards the Paris half-marathon in the spring... cant wait =)
13/11/2009 at 10:15
You're a student. Just go running during the day rather than watching tv. Simple.
15/11/2009 at 18:44
we do work sometimes!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 27 of 27 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.