overtaking etiquette

.........what are the rules lol

21 to 40 of 75 messages
05/04/2013 at 12:45

Nicky - some race organisers do ban headphones - check out the Trionium races.

05/04/2013 at 15:39

If you overtake me on the right and then cut in and slow down, you'll get a shove in the back or a hand on your back. If you overtake me on the left in the gutter of the road, then it's my mistake for leaving a gap on the inside.

Wearing headphones in a race is akin to drunk driving in that you're immediately in the wrong if any bad happens. Note race rules are being reviewed by UKA so voice your concerns now about the dreaded droids.

05/04/2013 at 16:02

Depends who it is your passing.

If it's just some random then give them an arms width if possible just to be corteous.

If it's David Falconer3 then id suggest getting as close in as possible on a tight left handed bend with a thorny hedge on the outside of him then begin to pretend your a horse and jockey and begin to pretend to whip your own backside and shouting YAHOOOOOOOOOOO YEEEEEEEEHARGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH YEAHHHHHHHHHHH GOOOOOOO ONNNNNNNN as you kick and buck and bite the shite out of him.

All being well he'll fall into the thorny hedge, a thorn will puncture both his eyes and he'll have to be put down immediately.

05/04/2013 at 16:06
Gareth Edwards 21 wrote (see)

pretend your a horse and jockey

you're

05/04/2013 at 16:06

he he ........thats conjured up quite an image.........poor David 

05/04/2013 at 16:10

That`s a bit harsh on DF3.

It would be a boring place without him.

05/04/2013 at 16:22
PhilPub wrote (see)

you're

Shhhhhh, l know it winds him up.

PhilPub wrote (see)

you're

Millsy1977 wrote (see)

That`s a bit harsh on DF3.

It would be a boring place without him.

l bet it was fine before he came along though too!

05/04/2013 at 16:23

Does anyone think Gareth Edwards 21 is an alt of DF3?

05/04/2013 at 16:35

You just need to develop sharp elbows, especially when it is crowded near the start of a race. 10+ minute milers, starting to far forward, are a pain in the neck. They should expect a bit of jostling. How else are they going to learn that they should line up in the correct starting pen for their abilities.

05/04/2013 at 16:55

I also have a running etiquette question. is it ever considered rude to overtake someone? A while back I was in a trail race that had no distance markers and I had no Garmin. As a result, I had no idea how far I had gone, or how far I had left to go. As I'd had about two hours sleep the night before, thanks to a poorly child, I was going very slowly, just trying to make it to the end. I spent most of the race in a daze really. Rounding a corner, the finish line appeared, way sooner than I was expecting. Having loads left in the tank I immediately sped up considerably and started chasing down a group of runners in front of me. Rather embarassingly, most of the group were considerably older than me. As I got near to them, just metres from the finish line, I suddenly felt embarassed about trying to overtake them and slowed down to finish just behind them.

Am I an idiot? It just felt really churlish to try and gain a few places right at the end like that, especially when we were all so far down the field.

05/04/2013 at 17:01
MattDA wrote (see)

I also have a running etiquette question. is it ever considered rude to overtake someone?

On the face of it, that looks like a really silly question - it is a RACE after all - but I sort of see where you're coming from.  But still, do you think a mid- to back-packer will be that bothered by a fast finisher pushing them down into 845th place?

I suppose etiquette does come into it in certain situations - if I caught myself catching up a 10 year old near the end of a parkrun, I might just back off a bit with my sprint finish!

05/04/2013 at 17:17
PhilPub wrote (see)

I suppose etiquette does come into it in certain situations - if I caught myself catching up a 10 year old near the end of a parkrun, I might just back off a bit with my sprint finish!

And it was Christmas eve 

And I was wearing the Santa outfit 

Santa was a bad bad man that year 

Edited: 05/04/2013 at 17:17
05/04/2013 at 17:24

it's not always about barging or even overtaking just because you can.

all you ipod haters need to chill out a bit.

it's not ok to wear an ipod but it's ok to barge past runners because

they happen to be a bit slower than you at the start?

eh? what's that all about.

some of you guys need to come off the meat if it's making you all aggressive.

we're only taking about running.

Tomorrow i think i'll wear two ipods

and a garmin on my head.

with a flashing red light on top.

oh look, he's wearing bad grammer on

his sleeve.

05/04/2013 at 17:32

If i'm passing a gentleman, I think the etiquette is to shout "keep moving, old boy, you can do better than that", whilst if it's a pretty, young lady, then a tap on the behind and a cheeky "see you at the finish line" is appropriate.

I was at a 10k race a couple of weeks ago and before the race the organiser told everyone that "priority should be given to faster runners", so it was expected to move aside for people lapping you (it was a 4lap course).

I'm slightly concerned about the Manchester marathon in a few weeks time as the first 4 miles look pretty tight, and the field won't have thinned out enough to avoid being caught behind someone.

my own personal pet hate is runners or walkers, in races or otherwise clogging up the path by walking/running 3-4 abreast, leaving no space for people to pass in either direction. If i'm running towards a pack of people and they're just staring at me, i'll either pile through or stop dead in front of them until someone moves.

05/04/2013 at 20:17
Nicky McNamerson wrote (see)

Does anyone think Gareth Edwards 21 is an alt of DF3?

I'm always a little suspicious of real names with a number after. You wonder if they've just set loads of accounts up, after previously being banned

Ultra waccyracer wrote (see)

it's not always about barging or even overtaking just because you can.

all you ipod haters need to chill out a bit.

it's not ok to wear an ipod but it's ok to barge past runners because

they happen to be a bit slower than you at the start?

eh? what's that all about.

some of you guys need to come off the meat if it's making you all aggressive.

we're only taking about running.

Tomorrow i think i'll wear two ipods

and a garmin on my head.

with a flashing red light on top.

oh look, he's wearing bad grammer on

his sleeve.

Hippy alert. You write like you're composing a poem. You and Seren would get on great.......

05/04/2013 at 20:19

I think you have to run defensively when it's packed in races. After all, if you try and barge your way through you might well get tripped, or smack into some big lumbering oaf.

If your route is blocked by a couple of runners, that's hard luck, it's up to you to get past.

If you're blocked by 3 or 4 people running together, all with headfones on though, and they don't acknowledge you behind them, I then think you have the right to OAF your way through

05/04/2013 at 20:21
AgentGinger wrote (see)

my own personal pet hate is runners or walkers, in races or otherwise clogging up the path by walking/running 3-4 abreast, leaving no space for people to pass in either direction. If i'm running towards a pack of people and they're just staring at me, i'll either pile through or stop dead in front of them until someone moves.

People's brains go into slow mo don't they. It seems to take them until you're an inch from their snout before they'll think about moving.

05/04/2013 at 20:32
PhilPub wrote (see)
MattDA wrote (see)

I also have a running etiquette question. is it ever considered rude to overtake someone?

been in this scenario... and hey the challenge of trying to outsprint a kid less than a third of my age... it was too tempting!

06/04/2013 at 05:58

I am very very slow but am quite good at running consistent pace, with even or occasionally negative splits.

I like to start right at the back and then overtake the overambitious who've gone out at six minute pace when they shoulda aimed for 12, just at the point they are weeping blood.

Mr Chloella tells me sportives are exactly the same, loads of fat middle aged blokes in lycra go out on a massive testosterone surge which doesn't last very long so they all start looking like they're having heart attacks on the first hill.

It's funny though isn't it, when I've not heard somone/not moved out of the way quick enough for an overtaker I've always been embarassed by my divviness and apologised sharpish. I can't imagine being rude and aggressive towards someone just because they're faster than me. At parkrun the other day i was overtaken by a bloke with a cast on his foot! That made me chortle. Perhaps i should've pushed him over and nicked his jelly babies.

06/04/2013 at 07:25
I know the OP is long gone but when I read about people jumping up verges etc I always wonder why they didn't start further up anyway. I join the start of a race based on my finish time, not my pace. I am going to start a little slowly, speed up gradually and will be running fastest as I cross the line. So if you have a different pacing strategy and try to push me out of the way or impede me as you go off like a bottle of pop then you'll be the one getting a nudge or a gentle steer. There are other runners in races, that is in fact the point!
21 to 40 of 75 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.