Ow, my leg hurts...

Left leg like jelly

7 messages
21/02/2004 at 12:31
Posted to the injury forum a couple of weeks ago but no-one wanted to help :-(

Now things are even worse - I have just had to demoralisingly return home by train after 30 minutes of a long run.

For the last few weeks I have had a periodic weakening of my left calf. It's hard to explain but the leg just seems to lose all strength in the push-off and if I stand on tip-toes on that foot I get the shakes in the calf.

Part of me thinks it might be shoe related - I had a bit of knee tweak in the left knee running down a steep hill during a long run in Jan. I put this down to lack of spring in the old shoes (my 10th pair of Kayanos) which had covered 430 miles (about par for the course for me). So I changed to Kayano # 11 and ever since I've had this problem on and off. I have also run for trains in work shoes a couple of time which has not helped.

My mileage has not increased more than 10% per week and before I started dedicated marathon training I had been running 16 milers most weekends since last summer.

Anyway, after the club run on 11/2 I decided to rest for a week to see if that would help. Things felt OK on Wed 18/2 in Kayano 10, speedwork was OK yesterday morning in Kayano 11 but today disaster...

I'm so frustrated - just want to run well at Bath on 14/3 and London on 18/4 - and was in the form of my life 6 weeks ago. I still feel there is time to sort this out - I have done 3 x 20 milers and am due to do Bramley next weekend.

What should I do? Rest up and can Bramley? Try some more new shoes? Try some special stretches? See a physio?

Help, please!
21/02/2004 at 13:01
Neil, haven't a clue what it might be but doesn't sound shoe related does it. I would think see a physio to get some idea of what is happening before trying anything else.

Do you have any pain/symptoms when not running?

Hope somebody else can offer more help, must be very frustating for you.

Barbara
21/02/2004 at 16:05
Thanks, Barbara, hopefully someone will...
21/02/2004 at 16:14
seeing a sports physio seems like a good idea.

It couldn't be a muscle tear could it?

(don't know much about these things, but I have seen that a lot of people recently seem to be having calf injury, and that's what it seems to be)

Hope you get it sorted.

T1
21/02/2004 at 18:35
Is it painful at all Neil?
22/02/2004 at 21:23
Not really. Very wierd. After limping home yesterday I had a hot bath and chilled. Went for very slow run with my expectant wife this morning in the old knackered shoes and was fine...

Think I might try some cycling later in the week to keep the cardio vascular going and see what happens with new shoes!

Thanks

N
22/02/2004 at 21:52
Could be a nerve thing maybe?

Get the GP to take a look.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.