Pacing error!

21 to 31 of 31 messages
08/04/2013 at 08:55

Nice one Ric! I get what you're saying now.

It did look like you were saying you have to listen to these guys as they were super fast runners. So, clearly not being that level, it looked like you were being cheeky!

At least you gave me a fictional time 1 min ahead of DF3

08/04/2013 at 09:18
Dear Mr Angry. Like Mr Windsor says, despite careful reading the maths doesn't add up. Seems like it wasn't a misjudgment of pace but more a misjudgment of your current ability. Most would be happy with a PB at any race and maybe you just wanted too much too soon. Did you run another race at a similar distance that suggested that you were capable of your expected time? Setting a realistic target is important and has to be based on some firm evidence otherwise you are just hoping for miracles.
seren nos    pirate
08/04/2013 at 09:18

i also couldn't weork out the maths.......if on pace till mile 7 and hammered the 3.....to lose the over 4 mins in 2/3 miles is a hell of a lot.......

Ialways have my garmin set to show me my pace for the individual mile I am doing.......so i know quickly if i have sped up or slowed down.......and can concentrate on getting back on track.......

for the very first part of the mile it can be a little unrelieable but then i know not to look for the first minute after a mile marker.....

after that its pretty spot on and used this method to obtain a number of PB's

08/04/2013 at 14:53

Ric - unless i read your post wrong, were you not pointing out that  many runners feel like they are close to discomfort with PB pace. So if the OP was comfortable between miles 7 & 9 that should have acted as an early warning and got going.  seems like decent advice

08/04/2013 at 16:40

The level of discomfort in a race is surely relative to the distance

Track races, a monumental world of pain
5ks pretty uncomfortable
5m/10k fairly uncomfortable

By half marathon it's more comfortably hard isn't it?It's just the higher mileage that leaves you monstered.

DF3, get some years of training in and you might yet hit some times.

08/04/2013 at 16:57
Taking your eye off the ball for two miles meant going from 7.40 pace to 9.40 pace before pushing on. That isn't taking your eye off the ball that's drifting off to sleep!
08/04/2013 at 17:17

I nearly fell asleep on an LSR once.

08/04/2013 at 18:05
Is that a Latenight Shag in Romford?
08/04/2013 at 18:26

Yeah, it's similar but you can do it by yourself and sober.

08/04/2013 at 19:30

Agree with Sussex runner - there's no way the rest of the race was well paced and you took your eye off the ball between 7-9 miles! Doing that costs you a few seconds per mile, not a few minutes.

Whilst I agree that it is not sensible to go off ridiculously fast and crash and burn, to pace a race well, there are a few things you need to do. Firstly have a really good idea of your capability and target pace (check whether the race has km or mile markers and either write them down, or use a garmin etc to keep a check (remembering garmins etc and even race markers are not always correct!). Basically it is usually best to aim for a steady pace, so just divide target time by miles and try to stick to that. Having said not to go off ridiculously, I think to truly find out how good you can be, sometimes you have to take risks, set off a bit harder and be prepared for it to really hurt - it may mean you crash and burn, but sometimes you can hang on and do something better than you thought. I doesn't half hurt though!!

08/04/2013 at 20:50

"I felt good all race really."

This is the bit which caught my eye. 

I had a vision of the OP just cruising along in the comfort zone which isn't the place to be setting a PB. 

However, I concede that you do need a fair amount of experience to really crunch a race, and a Half Marathon is a damn long way to race as a newish runner. You cannot help but be cautious.

Its relative really. The first distance I ever tried smashing was a 5k. I thought I could blast it the whole way since I'd already run a HM. Well it was a bit far to sprint but that's how I attacked it. The result was a 5:46 min mile average when I thought 6:15 was fast!

Two years later I blasted a HM because on the start line I remembered I'd spent the summer running 17 & 18 milers each Sunday. 13 miles! nothing.

You need confidence to eyeball these races. At 1:40 to 1:45 that's a long time for the OP to force the pace. Plenty of time to speed up and gain experience.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 31 of 31 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.