Parkrun timing glitches - twice in two runs

How common is this?

81 to 86 of 86 messages
21/06/2013 at 08:11
Maybe no one else is bothered by it.
21/06/2013 at 09:50

My wife's time was corrected last night. They have acknowledged that things went a bit askew last weekend, and they're now slowly trying to unravel the rest of the results.

21/06/2013 at 09:57
That's good news. I suppose they can look into it if you give them enough time.
21/06/2013 at 15:34

Hi Ivor- I'm glad to hear it is getting sorted and hopefully we'll all get a time closer to throw we actually ran. 

Groveland is a fab park and it is one hilly and testing course so it's definitely a run that brings pleasure if you know you are making even slight progress on.

good luck on Saturday and take the uphill bit easyish and you'll have much more in the legs for the flatter bits

04/07/2013 at 23:17

There are various reasons for timing going wrong, can be that the timer person clicks too many/too few times or a runner funnel ducks or double crosses - this can make everyone after them move one place up or down the list so can easily make a big difference - if the person ahead/behind you was 30 secs different you will show as 30 secs faster/slower.

We try to spot errors in the results and straighten them out, but sometimes it isn't obvious or we can see there's an error but there's no way of knowing exactly where it happened, we may be able to see it was between P140 and P150 but we can only make a best guess where it was.

If someone mails with the time they got on their watch that can often give the clue to where the error was - given than it's extremely unlikely that anyone would lie about their time we accept what we are told as being true - it's usually obvious what's happened and we can correct a result.

Please note though that you're more likely to get a response if you point out politely that you think there's something wrong rather than going in all guns blazing - 99.9% of runners do ask nicely but it's spoiled by the odd one who goes off on a rant about how bad it all is - we are unfortunately only human

John (Preston Park parkrun Run Director)

05/07/2013 at 18:10

Well I think park run is fab- a weekly timed run for free- is fantastic. 

Unfortunately the venue that myself and neversaynever were commenting on, is not known for being anywhere near accurrate. I believe this is because the run is orgsnised by a company snd not by runners.

parkrun is awesome- but not all venues are equally well 'run',

I dont normslly wear a warch when doing s timed run/ but will if it is the only wsy ill get a near accurste time- and especially as I 'm going for a PB in the morning

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
81 to 86 of 86 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.