Paula Radcliffe runs ING New York City Marathon !!!!!

1 to 20 of 266 messages
26/10/2004 at 11:01
Paula's return

Brilliant, Go Paula!
26/10/2004 at 11:04

Good for her!
26/10/2004 at 11:12
Good news, now all we need is Nell McAndrew to sign up.

26/10/2004 at 11:14
go on paula!!!!!!!!!!
26/10/2004 at 11:25
I am sure Alan Steinfeld forked out a lot of money.

Quality field ...

Paula (WB holder)
Deena Kastor (Bronze medal)
Benita Johnson (World XC champ)
Margarete Okayo (Course record holder)
Ludmila Petrova (00 champ)
Lornah Kiplagat (5k world best, many sub 31 10ks)
Denisova and Chepkemei.

Funny, the "F1" bib is taken, would mean Paula has F32.
26/10/2004 at 11:40
Any idea if this will be televised? Can't find it listed on Eurosport or Sky.

I suppose BBC will have it now??
26/10/2004 at 11:50
I guess, must be televised (but please without Brendan Foster)! When she ran Chicago it was on telly.
26/10/2004 at 12:59
It should be shown on British Eurosport (was advertised in the magazines earlier this year to be shown)
26/10/2004 at 13:25
Will be interesting to see whether her experience in Athens curbs her aggressive running tactics. With that field the pace will be quick enough without her trying to break away early on
OB
26/10/2004 at 13:35
good for her
26/10/2004 at 13:48
yes here here - Good luck Paula
26/10/2004 at 14:17
Good on her! Hope it's on TV!
26/10/2004 at 14:18
(Nearly) two marathon races in one year - dangerous!
26/10/2004 at 15:03
Paula likes NYC, think she ran well the NYC mini marathon, a high profile 10k, the course suits her and the conditions are not extreme, though last year it was hot. I almost sure she will hang in there about Queensboro Bridge and then get going in a solo effort. None of the others would do anything silly over the first half. Possibly much easier for her to run in the US, as the media there only bothers about their own runners. Could be a good comeback.
26/10/2004 at 15:22
But too soon after Athens?

'My advice is therefore not to race marathons competitively more than once every 4 to 6 months. In fact, for elite runners, it is best to race only one marathon every year.' Tim Noakes, Lore of Running.
26/10/2004 at 15:29
Who pays the bills in the meanwhile?

Constantina Dita Tomescu, won the Chicago Marathon, after having a hard time in Athens, a week before she won in New Delhi the half marathon champs and following week Chicago (with a cold).

Zahkarova came third in same race, it was her 5th marathon within 12 month.

Yingje Sun won Bejing marathon a week ago.

Some can cope with the training stress better than others.

Kastor, Okayo and a few others did Athens too.
26/10/2004 at 15:34
it's very short notice for the bbc to sort coverage out i reckon. after all it didn't sort out coverage for the tour of britain. but then again cycling doesn't ahve the same armchair following that paula has. plus the ryder cup was on at the same time.
HC
26/10/2004 at 16:03
Shouldn't be a problem for a British broadcaster to get coverage, unlike tour of Britain they wouldn't have to be host broadcaster. They would simply send over Crammy and Bren or Eurosport equivalent (Hutchings and ?), and take the host broadcaster race feed.
26/10/2004 at 16:06
ah yes of course, so as long as they do't mind shelving whatever they've got planned for that afternoon on tv then it'll be on. ifngers crossed.
26/10/2004 at 16:19
I am mystified by some aspects of the cult of Paula. "Good for her," "brilliant, go Paula," "Go on Paula" in this thread, for instance.

I mean, we are talking about a marathon runner who has entered a race. Wow! I wish Paula all the best for New York and I love her to bits but what, exactly, has she done that is so exceptional here? My missus is vaguely chuffed when I finish a marathon, but hardly impressed when I enter one via Runner's World online. I mean we're not talking about a big achievement.

At the risk of getting panned (I can see the flames coming from far, far away) it seems to me that some comments on this thread very clearly delineate how out of hand the whole cult of Paula is and, moreover, how the only person who really suffers as a result is Paula herself.

What next? Maybe the BBC should televise the actual completing of the entry form, along with commentary from Brendan Foster added for good measure.
1 to 20 of 266 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.