PB or not PB that is my question

What do you do when PBs are a distant memory

21 to 33 of 33 messages
02/05/2013 at 20:38
Peter Collins wrote (see)

Johnny, I've done three and am quite satisfied with that. I'm happy to set up a Three Marathon Club and make us the only members...

I AM, however, only 22 away from 200 parkruns. I find it easy to get up in the morning for those.

What's the idea behind this dedicated routine parkrun business? Hundreds!  Why?

03/05/2013 at 06:47

Good question Jonny.

My pbs were set in late 19980s !

I am realistically not going to set new ones over those distances. 10K, 5K, Half Marathon

03/05/2013 at 10:14
Johnny2323 wrote (see)
I used to like Nikeplus when it was full of challenges - this team against that team. Sadly no longer a feature which is nuts imo. Someone really should set up a running challenge site or maybe one exists already?

Some of the guys in my running club are using Strava, might be worth having a look at. Haven't used it myself.

03/05/2013 at 12:49
@Tom77

Nice one. I like the look of that.

About a year ago Nike promised their challenge feature was being redesigned. It never seems to have happened. I'd say there's a big gap in the market for something that lets people set their own challenges and contests.
Edited: 03/05/2013 at 12:49
03/05/2013 at 13:02

Johnny - as Tom said, try Strava. They have whats called segments which is a section of a run e.g. 0.6 miles. Those people that then run that segment go into a leadboard for said segment. I had a spell of searching for all the segments in my area and running them to try and get to the top of the leaderboard. They also, kindly, send you an email when someone has beaten your time ! I've beaten some people in segments before only to find that they must go out 2 hours later and beat my time again. It can get quite addictive. It can appear though, that some people may use other methods just so they can get top of a leaderboard e.g. ride a bike on a segment that is for runners. You just need your Garmin (not sure what other devices you can use) and download your runs directly into Strava

03/05/2013 at 14:28

Yes, strava is quite fun.

I like some of the stuff on fetcheveryone too - grabbing control of different zones in training & racing makes you explore new areas. The whole coin-collecting and gorilla hunting of "fetchpoint" is great and again gets you exploring your surroundings. The UTMOST comp gets you focusing on racing different distances too, and when you record races it works out your WAVA for you!

07/05/2013 at 18:20
@carterusm
re: Strava. I think I'm being a bit thick. I find how you explore segments and see the ones in your area, but don't get how you compete. I've just run the one nearest to me and uploaded the results but it doesn't show up on the segment leaderboard or anything. Is all this a Premium account feature maybe?
Edited: 07/05/2013 at 18:36
07/05/2013 at 22:39

No you just do it. It may take a while to come up as there's a fair bit of number crunching.

If you have set your privacy settings to blank out the area immediately around you (good idea for security) it won't record any segments you run within that zone.

08/05/2013 at 00:11
Cheers. I think my issue was I didn't start and end in same place as the segment. Anyway, looks like fun - and possibly addictive.

I was thinking some kind of mass handicap race would be fun based on people's PBs. Anyone ever heard of such a race? Parkrun could do it with all their data.
08/05/2013 at 08:39

Yes, could have been that - you have to run the whole segment. I just make sure I incorporate segments into my normal runs, so if I have got the start & finish a bit wrong, I'll still cover the whole thing.

Not a mass handicap race, but my old running club used to have a monthly handicap race for its members.

I guess the problem with parkrun doing it is that they have about 250,000 registered runners, but only about 38,000 run each week.

Cheerful Dave    pirate
08/05/2013 at 09:04
Johnny2323 wrote (see)
Cheers. I think my issue was I didn't start and end in same place as the segment. Anyway, looks like fun - and possibly addictive.

Any run that includes that segment should pick it up when you upload the run, but sometimes sometimes they get missed if your GPS has 'wandered' off your actual course (runs through woods are prone to this).  As EC says, you don't need to worry about where the actual start and finish are, as long as you run through them at some point on your run.

If there are a few local ones, you can run some strava interval sessions: jog between them, then go for your best time.  Addictive, but also good training.

Cheerful Dave    pirate
08/05/2013 at 09:14
RicF wrote (see)
Peter Collins wrote (see)

Johnny, I've done three and am quite satisfied with that. I'm happy to set up a Three Marathon Club and make us the only members...

I AM, however, only 22 away from 200 parkruns. I find it easy to get up in the morning for those.

What's the idea behind this dedicated routine parkrun business? Hundreds!  Why?

Why not?  If you're going to go for a run saturday morning anyway, including a local parkrun as part of a longer run is better than just doing the miles on my own, plus as someone who doesn't get to club sessions too often it's a chance to catch up with running mates.  Or I'll take junior along - he was desperate to get to 50 before he was 10, now he wants to reach 100 by the end of the year.  I'd rather he was addicted to that than xbox.  There are lots of kids running our local one every week, it's great to see.

08/05/2013 at 10:30
@exiled claret
Great. I've sussed it now.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 33 of 33 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.