PB or not PB that is my question

What do you do when PBs are a distant memory

1 to 20 of 33 messages
01/05/2013 at 22:05
Like plenty of people who enter races I am motivated not by winning or finishing but by beating my own PBs in each distance. To date I've been pretty successful in this personal duel with my former self but I'm beginning to sense that some of my PBs are about to become unbeatable - in other words, I'm not getting any younger. Anyway I was wondering if not PBs what other system of motivation people use. Is there some kind of age ratio I can use so as I continue to better myself but on some kind of sliding scale of decrepitude? If not time then what other targets do people aim for?
01/05/2013 at 22:10

Yes there is its called age grading so you can still have targets. quite a few races these days include age grading in the results.

01/05/2013 at 22:24
01/05/2013 at 22:27
Getting satisfaction by beating hundreds of bloated 20 somethings and fat thirty somethings.
01/05/2013 at 22:49
Thanks Michael, that calculator seems very generous.

Yes Sussex Runner I enjoy a similar pursuit. If I see anyone in a football shirt I have to beat them. There's also the old counting people you pass in the final mile game.

I'm also on the look out for odd distance races just so I can get an immediate 7.24 mile PB. I'm so shallow.
02/05/2013 at 05:52

As well as the WAVA age grading thing, there is always just the pure competition. There's always someone just in front and/or just behind you. If you enter quite a lot of local races, you begin to recognise some familiar faces and vests of people doing similar times to you. Joining a club also give some competition with people who you know are a similar standard. Odd distances or off-road races are great fun as well, so you are not just chasing pb's, but can focus on the racing (it's not just for the guys at the front!)

Having said that, depending on quite what age you are, you probably don't have to give up on pb's just yet - loads of people keep running fast and improving during advancing years. I've just set pb's at 10k and half marathon aged 41, beating times I did in my late 20's.

02/05/2013 at 08:56
Good stuff exiled claret

I'm in my late - cough - 40s.

I love the idea of a 20 year gap between PBs. I've deliberately kept my marathon time low so I can beat it in my 50s (he lied).

I suppose this is the attraction of super hilly races - you know there's no PB chance but you get the glory from just finishing. I did a Hell Runner race a few years back and couldn't give a monkeys about my time.
02/05/2013 at 09:31

There is a handicapping system on RunBritain (which automatically gets details of your UKA-licenced races).

You can work to improve your handicap, compare it to other people's, etc,.

02/05/2013 at 09:56

There's no reason to give up on PBs, though.

I achieved several in my late 40s, getting older does not necessarily mean getting slower - unless you were VERY fast in your youth!

I found that training in a more focussed way, using a good schudule, made a lot of difference.

02/05/2013 at 12:39

Since I started doing parkrun, what, nearly four years ago, I've done a new PB at least once a year, and I'm ancient, so it is possible. I feel I've reached the peak, however, and am now facing a long downhill.

02/05/2013 at 12:56

How about concentrating on your PB for the age category you're in? 

02/05/2013 at 13:12

Johnny join a local running club that gets involved in XC's they are always odd no's and VERY fun! 

02/05/2013 at 13:16
Thanks everyone, top tips. I'm feeling younger by the second!
02/05/2013 at 15:22
Johnny2323 wrote (see)
If not time then what other targets do people aim for?

Some people try new distances (e.g. Ultramarathons) or triathlon (or duathlon, etc). I'm currently working towards getting my parkrun 50 t-shirt. For the overachievers there's the 100 marathon club.

02/05/2013 at 16:37

M40pbs, M50pbs, wava ratings, fastest time this year, heart beats/km, maximum cadence/stride this year, most different parkruns, furthest parkrun from home...the possibilities are endless.

02/05/2013 at 17:25

I'm led to believe, by someone who's actually in the 100 marathon club, that you can join as an associate member when you've done 50. You can wear the club colours, however, only when you've achieved three figures. 

02/05/2013 at 17:28

And, ye gods, look at this list. http://www.100marathonclub.org.uk/new/statistics/rec-alpha.shtml

02/05/2013 at 17:59
@Tom77
I must say I do covet a 50 Parkruns T-shirt - if only I could get myself out of bed on a Saturday morning. I love em too.
@Joe Volcano
heart beat/cadence PBs - love it and I thought I was being nerdy with my PBs for different shoe brands!
@Peter Collins
Is there a club for people who have done three?

I used to like Nikeplus when it was full of challenges - this team against that team. Sadly no longer a feature which is nuts imo. Someone really should set up a running challenge site or maybe one exists already?
02/05/2013 at 18:12

Johnny, I've done three and am quite satisfied with that. I'm happy to set up a Three Marathon Club and make us the only members...

I AM, however, only 22 away from 200 parkruns. I find it easy to get up in the morning for those.

02/05/2013 at 18:44

My pbs are all from 2004 and 2005. Managing decline, that's what I'm doing.

But I can still chase my season pb, my relative position in my age group and as others have said, my age grading.

Sometimes, just sometimes, I can pull out a time that is not a pb but the fastest I've done in a while. Like last week's Bracknell Half Marathon - sub 1:44, for the first time in three years, back when I was on the right side of 50 ... So there's life in the old dog yet. Don't give up!

1 to 20 of 33 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.