Pearls Of Wisdom

What do *you* wish you had known earlier

1 to 20 of 77 messages
25/09/2004 at 22:24
What do you wish you'd known earlier as a runner?

I know I said in the article above that I wished I'd realised how much easier running was in company...

but it also took me yonks to work out that bad patches in a run hardly ever last forever - unless you tell yourself that they will.

Take the old marathon chestnut of feeling worse at 4 miles than you did in training at 18 miles. If you obsess about it, you'll probably want to drop out by 6 miles.

If you tell yourself you'll ignore it till 6 miles, then see how you feel, chances are you'll be right as rain by then...

Ultra runners and adventure racers often say the same thing, I think.

Sean, RW
25/09/2004 at 22:34
I wish I'd known fast speedwork is of very limited value without a good base.
25/09/2004 at 22:35
And that to realise your potential as a runner you need to periodise and peak.
25/09/2004 at 22:36
And that 50 mpw isn't time to say `whoa tiger, too high, better ease off or else you'll overtrain'
AndrewSmith    pirate
25/09/2004 at 23:19
that what people say you need to do and what you really need to do are completely different things. and that everyone lies about how much training they do.
and golden syrup does not stop your nipples bleeding.
25/09/2004 at 23:25
I don't lie about how much training I do. Do you have examples?
25/09/2004 at 23:29
that running fast on concrete/tarmac surfaces everyday would eventually lead to permanent, irreversible knee problems!

Vary your surfaces & you don't always need to run every single day. Rest days are equally as important as training ones.

TTT.
25/09/2004 at 23:34
TTT, if rest days were `equally' as important then logic would suggest you could run as fast a race by resting 7 days per week as by running 7 days per week.

In my experience the fewer rest days I've had the faster I've run.

If you look on the daily training thread the faster runners tend to be those who take the fewest rest days.
25/09/2004 at 23:57
I meant that I've found it important to have recovery day(s) rather than running each & every day. Especially if you only train on hard surfaces. Not that rest days improve running performance.
Sorry if I didn't make that too clear earlier.

TTT.
26/09/2004 at 07:12
You can't run a fast marathon without being able to run a fast 10k (not original).

Treadmills are a waste of money except for rehab work.

Getting out for a run consistently, regardless of weather or distraction, is more important than distance or pace.

The mind rules, not the body.

JJ
26/09/2004 at 08:11
that there are people who are slower than you as well as faster

and i wish id known earlier how wonderful and supportive the running community is

and the first mile of any race is always horrendous
26/09/2004 at 08:29
wish I'd known that it takes me 30 minutes to warm up and feel comfortable.

All those years I thought I couldn't do more than 3 miles at a time!
26/09/2004 at 08:36
Do as much off road running as you can, easier on the joints and makes your legs stronger IMHO

Try to be consistant in your running, whether its 3 times a week, or 3 times a day it has been known, but not by me

Get proper running shoes from a proper running shop, staffed by people who know about running.
26/09/2004 at 08:43
I think its the wearing of a proper and supportive sports bra, it still amazes me to see women at the gym etc., who don't.

26/09/2004 at 11:21
The sloooooooooow long runs are the base upon which everything else follows.
RJK
26/09/2004 at 11:53
That the way to run faster and easier is not to go out and try to run faster.

Once I started treating the first mile as a warm up, slow-as-you-like, my times, distances and enjoyment improved dramatically.
26/09/2004 at 21:43
Why lie about how much training you do? Don't understand that. Lies won't make the race go any easier.

The pace of progress can be unbelievably slow.

Oddly enough though, progress is possible, even under severe conditions, provided you don't give up for more than a couple of days each month.
26/09/2004 at 22:03
Don't need to lie about my training, because the clock doesn't lie!

- Wish I would have done track work sooner. Always had a strong base, but that extra ingredient was missing.

- Wish I would have understood the physiological aspects of training sooner rather than later.

- Wish I would have raced less, when it was time to back off a bit.

- Wish I would have run double sessions sooner and stick to a consistent high mileage schedule.
27/09/2004 at 06:40
don't trust men in green hats
27/09/2004 at 07:24

LOL Candy.

Very dodgy, I'd say!!
1 to 20 of 77 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.