Pedestrian Etiquette

why won't you get out my way???

1 to 20 of 54 messages
30/05/2007 at 19:24
Is it just me, or do other runners find that pedestrians just refuse to get out your way when you are running towards them?

My natural reaction is to move out of the way of a speeding on-coming object. But it seems I'm the only one who thinks this! It gets especially dangerous when people are walking with their open umbrellas taking up the whole pavement too.

Are runners resented as a social group by non-runners?

30/05/2007 at 19:27
maybe you're the only one that thinks you're a speeding on-coming object ;-)

trying to think of a sensible reply but life's too short, just go round them.
30/05/2007 at 19:32
erm yu are running on a footpath, you have to give way to poor little pedestrians you bully

30/05/2007 at 19:36
I pay my council tax too. I should have equal rights on the pavement! It's not like I'm sprinting down the road with my arms flailing. But it would be nice once in a while if people gave me a bit more room once in a while rather than walking down the middle and forcing me onto the kerb or into a hanging tree branch...
30/05/2007 at 19:37
just see it as cross training, it's good for your technique :D
30/05/2007 at 19:39
It's safer for you if the walker holds their course. You have more choices than they do.
30/05/2007 at 19:42
look on the bright side - most of these cretins walk in the middle of the bike lane too..... They don't even move for a bike moving at speed
30/05/2007 at 19:47
Thats it! I should get myself a bike bell and start ringing it as I approach :)
30/05/2007 at 20:05
This is why I prefer running in the woods, the tracks are so wide this problem doesn't really come up.

The pavements around where I live are quite narrow but I must admit most people are pretty good at moving aside. The worst place is along the seafront, even though it's quite wide I've had to step in the road before now.

Pedestrians also wind me up when I'm cycling, I don't use cycle paths much now but when I used to there was always some moron toddling along in the middle of it.

I much prefered it when I lived in Germany, walk in a cycle lane there and you really take your life in your hands. One of the best things out there though was the rule that cars turning into a side road had to give way to pedestrians and cyclists. It's much safer.
30/05/2007 at 22:04
It's up to runners to go round pedestrians really, and it's always best to cycle on the road if you want to get anywhere fast, cycle lanes are for kids learning to ride.
Nam
30/05/2007 at 23:15
A runner is still a pedestrian, simply moving at a higher speed and therefore has as much right to the pavement as a walker!

Even before I was a runner I would give way to a runner coming down the pavement, as it makes sence for him/her not to disrupt their stride pattern etc and just let them zoom past. If with a friend I go single file to let them past. Even before I started running it would not have occurred to me to force a runner into the road, and I don't know what's the matter with people who do.

Now a runner myself I sense mixed reactions. Those that like myself would give way (and I always say thanks!), and those that give you attitude for some bizarre reason.
30/05/2007 at 23:19
that doesn't always work Pops - sometimes the cycle lanes go in the opposite direction to the traffic on the road - we've got that in my high street and I'd have to go about 2 miles to get 50 yards if I didn't use the cycle lane
cougie    pirate
30/05/2007 at 23:42
Dont really see why people should get out of your way ? They have as much right as you so why dont you move ? Thats like cars complaining that other traffic gets in their way ? If you have the energy to run surely you have the energy to run round them ? That said its annoying when kids walk in groups and block the path completely - thats just rude.
30/05/2007 at 23:45
Some people expect other pedestrians to be moving, like them, at 1 1/2 mph and it takes their brains 30 secs to notice if something's moving faster and another 30 secs to decide what to do about it.
Nam
30/05/2007 at 23:47
I disagree. By not making space on the pavement and forcing a runner into the road its endangering someones life for absolutely no reason. Stepping aside for two seconds is nothing incomparison to forcing a runner into raffic or into parked cars.
30/05/2007 at 23:58
Nam
That's 2 sensible posts in a row on this thread! Go back to social where you can express yourself properly...
31/05/2007 at 00:33
I suppose the chances of a pedestrian getting out of your way are 50/50. So why don't you try running round them the first time and then see what happens next time.

There is no reason why a pedestrian should just move. They have as much right to be there as you have. It's as dangerous for them to be forced into the road as you.

Some comments make it seem like pedestrians are resented by runners.

Nam
31/05/2007 at 00:42
LOL 200...

*tottles off causing havoc elsewhere*
31/05/2007 at 00:44
I do resent pedestrians as 25% of them shout rude things at me when i am running and so on bad days (like today when i am in the middle of giving up smoking and am feeling v grumpy) i tar all of them with the same brush (pun intended).
Nam
31/05/2007 at 00:51
Nobody is expecting a walking pedestrian to throw themselves into the road kamakazi style to give way to the running pedestrian. All they have to do is move over a bit, stand aside for 2 secs or walk single file for a moment if a couple for God's sake. Not much to ask for.

When walking I always get out of the way for runnings and likewise the only pedestrians I would expect to have to run into the gutter for are peeps with prams and old folk.
1 to 20 of 54 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.