physiotherapy/osteopathy

any opinions?

10 messages
24/01/2003 at 09:08
just wondering if anyone else has experience of physiotherapy or osteopathy? i've been seeing an osteopath for a bad back for about three years but recently it doesn't seem to be effective at making the pain go away. so yesterday i tried a physiotherapist and although i'm not all better i can notice the difference. has anyone else found that osteopathy has lost it's touch?
24/01/2003 at 09:17
horses for courses maybe

praps the new perspective from the physio has helped - the osteo may have been stuck in a treatment groove
24/01/2003 at 09:29
probably right. the osteopath has been great since i first hurt my back so i don't want to write him off too quickly.
24/01/2003 at 09:37
a good therapist is hard to find! so if you find one keep them

ive got a good physio so never been tempted but other people i know swear by chiropractors and osteopaths
3TL
24/01/2003 at 11:06
it really depends upon your practitioner I think. Both have extensive training programmes but like any job - there's both good and not so good practitioners
24/01/2003 at 15:03
Physiotherapy is such a diverse profession too that someone might be an expert in stroke rehabilitation or respiratory physiotherapy but not much cop on sports injuries. I don't know much about the other two but have always imagined they are less diverse in what they do.
24/01/2003 at 15:48
i used to have a flatmate physio, so i have faith in them, but my mothers back was sorted by acupuncture when all else failed (and she's a cynical woman), so like bune said, if getting better is worth it for you, it might cost a bit to try different treatments out.
Trogs    pirate
24/01/2003 at 17:24
My hubby swears by chiropractors. He doesn't run but suffers occasional severe back probs - the chiropractor usually sorts him out in a couple of sessions.
25/01/2003 at 15:16
I have no faith in either physio therapy or chiropractor treatments. Payed loads of money for chiropractor treatment for a bad back, with little positive result and as for physo treatment I was being treated for tendinitus when I had a fibula stress fracture!

I swear by a monthly sports massage that helps to keeps muscles loose and is great for injury prevention. I also reccommend an aromatherapy massage, just bliss!
25/01/2003 at 15:48
They are often ways of achieving the same end. One nice thing about a good physio is that they will teach you how to look after yourself. I had forty five minutes in a pool with a physio 4 years ago now, and I have not been bed-ridden with a bad back since. (I still go to the pool three times a week. Or Else!!) I see a physio now and again for checks and advice, but mostly I can sort trouble before it gets going.

I am doing Pilates now. Have done Alexander technique as well. The nice thing about trying a variety of approaches is that you can begin to understand the common ground, and then you can adapt ideas to your need, act early and avoid trouble.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
10 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.