Pins and Needles when Running

21 to 40 of 43 messages
02/12/2004 at 10:07
I have spent 2 years trying to find out why I get pins and needles in my feet and then loose all feeling at about 6k (horrid!) At last I've found fellow sufferers! I've tried the shoe lace trick - no good, spent a fortune on socks and trainers - no good (back to the old faithfuls). I shall now try the stretching mentioned in one of the first messages here. Also interesting that I, like others, have a lower back problem, maybe a reflexologer might help!? If anyone has found out any more since this thread was started please let us know.
24/02/2005 at 13:54
I can't believe I've found fellow sufferers too! I have been strugging with this for years and not found any solution. I invested in better trainers (they helped a bit - I can run further before the pins and needles kick in), new socks (some a bit better, some a bit worse), and stretches. The calf stretches seem to help the most but I have to do them for quite a while before setting out. I have lower back pain and have been putting off going to see a physio because of the cost.... It seems that that might be the common link..... Has anyone out there successfully had any medical treatment that has cured it?
24/02/2005 at 17:09
I'm afraid to say that I have given up on the stretches! I tried for a few weeks but they really didn't seem to make much difference at all. I have also found that I don't have the problem with my feet everytime I run, I have noticed that if my ankles feel tight, no matter how much stretching I do, I will suffer. I think it's time my flexible friend took me to the physio!
24/02/2005 at 17:26
I got it in my hand today whilst shopping at lunch, my whole left hand went white and I couldn't feel it at all....wasn't even running.
28/02/2005 at 21:44
I too have not only pins and needles (mainly in right foot) but this is accompanied by an excrutiating burning pain. It started when I brought new running shoes not sure if it is new shoes coupled with the fact I have a very high arch and bump on top of foot (bone spur I think). I have tried loosening my laces with no success. Someone mentioned to me that it could be friction - Who knows but very painful, although on the plus side it does make me run faster so that I can get home quicker to get the shoes off!!
25/08/2005 at 15:24
I also get pins and needles in my right foot after about half an hour of running,
I only started running In april in prep to do the Windsor Half (burst of enthusiasm after watching the London Marathon) I have seen a podiatrist who stuck some supports onto the insoles of my trainers – as I when I run (and walk) I land on the out side of my right foot (oversupinating?), do my stretches and even bought running socks but I still get the problem too.
I have come to the conclusion that running surfaces affect this – I didn’t have a problem when I run in Windsor great Park (7 pain free miles – OK not non stop and v slow) but when I done a 5K route round canary wharf it was a nightmare which took me a hobbling cursing 50minutes.
Windsor has a nice asphalt surface and canary wharf is a concrete/marble nightmare.
Anyway I hope that is the reason as I am dreading being in the half marathon and crawling over the finish line 4 hours after everyone else with a completly numb leg.
25/08/2005 at 15:42
i use to get the pins and needles when i first started running going up hill was worse i did weigh 15 stone at the time its dissapeard now.
26/08/2005 at 11:10
Noticed some new posts on this and although I've not come to any definite conculsion, I haven't had the pins and needles for a while. The link seems to be when I overdo it usually by trying to push my speed too much (if I slow when it starts to come on, it usually goes) or not resting.

When I got it quite badly I went to the doctors to have my back checked as didn't want to be doing any damage, and he said it was fine and suggested resting for a month, which seemed like a long time, but I did manage two weeks and it has eased.
10/05/2006 at 16:49
I recently started experiencing 'hotpots' on my right foot and also pin & needles. Thought it was just me. The new shoes were Asics Cumulus. Any distance over 6 miles or so seemed to hurt. Bodyglide helped extend this but not by much. I have now been told that this particular shoe has a gel plate in the forefoot and that my right foot is slightly larger than my left, therefore, the ball of my foot sits astride the edge of the gel pad, hence the friction. I tei the laces very tight to prevent friction, hence the pins & needles. I bought 2 pairs of these shoes as they felt so good on the treadmill (for 5 mins) and now use them for short training runs and races up to 10k. Any longer I go back to my bargain bucket Asics (no name or number but very comfy). Hope this helps.
12/05/2006 at 16:28
that's got to be worth a try! Thanks!
17/05/2006 at 11:59
I suffer from Pins and Needles and numbness in the feet when running also. My socks are not tight, My trainners are lose but I am over weight by quite a lot for my height and I push myself quite hard trying just to keep up with the others. Since i have put on a bit of weight it has got worse so I am going to cut down on what I eat.

My wife also found this on a web site so I am going to get checked when I get the time for Iron and Magnesium deficiency test.

Here is the link:
http://www.serpentine.org.uk/advice/coach/fh35.php

This is what it says on the site.

Have you suffered recently from pins-and-needles in the feet and hands, or numbness in the feet? If so, you should have a comprehensive blood test for iron and magnesium deficiency.

Hope this may help.
26/08/2007 at 16:41

Hello,

I get pins and needles in my left foot after running for about half and hour, eventually my whole foot goes numb, and I get a burning pain in my calf. I've recently been referred to an orthopaedic surgeon, who thinks that it might be a condition called exercise induced compartment syndrone.

There are many descriptions of this condition on the net, if you think you've got it then badger your GP for an orthapaedic referral, and if you can't bear the waiting times, BUPA charge £110 for an orthapaedic referrral.

Unfortunately, the only way that this condition can be managed is by surgery, post surgical outcomes are however excellent.

02/04/2008 at 14:50
I suffer with numbness in both feet starting at my toes and spreading into the balls of my feet, but this is only on the cross trainer and not when out running. Am i ok to wear my running shoes on the cross trainer or should i be wearing different footwear.  I have tried having the laces very loose but it seems to make no difference.
02/06/2008 at 09:31

I have started to get pins n needles in my left calf and foot recently.

I have good trainers and have had no problems with pins n needles until last week. I have tried slackening the laces on my trainers to see if it helps, which is doesn't. 

14/05/2009 at 21:36
I cant believe how common thi is. I thought that I was the only one. The only problem that I have that differs from those aleady written in here is that since I have seriously started upping my training I have had pins and needles costantly. I can rarely feel my left foot and it is now spreading up my left leg also. I work in an office and always wore 5 inch heels, but in the last tree weeks I havehad to wear black 'sensible shoes' as it feels like I am walking on the outside of my feet and that my ankles will give way if I continue wearing them. If anyone can help me, please do. I am at the end of my tether with the sensible shoes. let alone the running.
14/05/2009 at 21:38
and sorry aout the spelling. I always forget to read through what I have written before I send it
15/05/2009 at 12:08

Ultra...an interesting comment you made about the numbness in your left thigh. I too experience this and also pins and needles. I've never really given much thought to finding out what is causing the problem...I feel it is all part and parcel or runnning. I should add that it doesn't impact on my running at all.

Many years ago I had some problems with my sciatic nerve and wonder if this is still part of my current problem. I was also told that it is caused by the very thin nerves that run across the hip bone and the friction of running causes these to wear thin thus the numbness in the thigh.

I'm about your age so after 20+ years of running plus many previous years on playing squash I'm not going to let this interfere with things now. 

03/11/2009 at 12:49

Another sufferer here people:

Pins and needles after about 3 miles, back pain after about 2-3 miles, discomfort for 24 hours after.I have tight calves, hamstrings.... you name it!

Have tried loose trainers and socks - nothing, so the next steps for me are hammy stretches against the wall as suggested in this feed, plus some yoga.

If this fails,  GP/Physio/Chiro..........

03/12/2009 at 16:46

Hi there,

I have been a runner for ten years plus and recently over the last years experienced pins and needles in right foot, which starts as a tightness in the calf muscle and then transpires into pins and needles in the right leg so bad that it feels as if I am running on one leg! It is really uncomfortable and seriously effects your running! It starts at about 6K, generally on hill sprints like the ones I did on Tuesday, but sometimes and quite often it will happen on flat surfaces from 6K onwards...tried insoles and calf stretches. Calf stretches seem the best at the mo, although I am still getting them.

Any tips or advice will be useful.

Thanks,

Fellow runner

24/08/2010 at 22:21

I have this problem and it is nice to find other fellow sufferers are out there as I, like many others, thought I was 'abnormal'!

I rarely stretch before my runs and will try this now.

I have recently seen a chiropractor and he said I have bad circulation and to up my vitamin E intake. I have also bought a High Tech Health Circulation Booster....strange sensation but seems to ease it.

Definitely going to try the stretching and looser socks.

Thanks for the tips. Happy running.

*Run Forrest Run* 

21 to 40 of 43 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.