Port Talbot harriers

46,921 to 46,940 of 49,940 messages
14/03/2013 at 15:33
After noon guys when do you start your tapers,3 weeks Sunday for my blackpool marathon,when do you suggest,all new to me cheers.lol
14/03/2013 at 17:50

AFTERNOON ALL

GN about 2 weeks out for me ,but wait and see what the others recommend

9 miles done in the sunshine but still cold 1hr 08

pizza later

14/03/2013 at 18:25
Griff- start 3 weeks out with reducing mileage by 20-25%, 2 weeks out reduce by 40%. Race week (6 days before) reduce by 60%. So if you were peaking at 70m, you would run 52-56m, then 42m, then 28m during race week. Biggest mistake made is doing too much 3 weeks out IMHO....
14/03/2013 at 18:27
MM61's taper strategy is based on his usual tactic of having no training to reduce down from. After all 60% of zero is still zero! Lol!
14/03/2013 at 19:01

JD ok so i'm lazy and different but your pupil is slowly grinding to a halt aswell

14/03/2013 at 19:45
Cheers guys sounds good to me,get 1 more SLR in this weekend then start my taper,what about carb loading i haven't got a clue lol.????
14/03/2013 at 20:23

GN i basically eat as normal,just eat sensibly the few days before,have you got your pre race breakfast sorted thats most important

14/03/2013 at 20:55
MM61 cheers mate sounds good to me,pre race breakfast.porridge brown toast coffee ????lol.
14/03/2013 at 21:34

Evening all

GN - well done on the training.  I am sure you will do well.  Cut back as everyone says.  You won't gain anything by doing lots of long distance now.  Just don't eat anything new before race day.  Don't be tempted to try new gels or anything

14/03/2013 at 21:52
NR great advice. Thanks ????
15/03/2013 at 06:36
Hi all don't post much but still read all what's going on.training been going ok Thinking of doing round the lakes on sat but come of my night shifts yesterday and same old trouble can't get into sleeping pattern.has anyone taken a sleeping tablet a night before a run.if so how did you feel the next day.my shifts really spoil my running that's why i only seem to manage about 4 races a year.good luck mm61 how's it going
15/03/2013 at 07:03

Morning all

Powell - never tried sleeping tablets.  Round the Lakes is a great race but take care with the drive and running if you are tired.

Friday

15/03/2013 at 12:03

Powell - are you the same Powell from the Great Welsh Marathon forum a while back?  - nice to hear from you again if so!  such a shame about the races and your lack of sleep. I tried an anti-histamine remedy, but it didnt work at all. is there anything herbal you can try? I hope you make it to the lakes race ok. I take my daytime work pattern for granted... It must be a lot harder to train around shifts.

Griff - all the best for the taper and carbo loading.. i've never really changed my diet much before a marathon and try to avoid eating too much, too late the evening before a race, so it is kinder on the stomach.

Ended up doing a hilly 9k yesterday before the gym. The sun was still shining. Must have a rest day today - it was my 8th consecutuve day of running (albeit short runs). 5k race tomorrow   and lunch with parents

15/03/2013 at 16:33
Thx Nr yes Lts seems long time ago since gwm. seems to have gone quiet in here
15/03/2013 at 21:10

Evening all

Powell - its a lot quieter.  Good luck with your race.

LTS - hope you enjoyed your rest day.  I run every day usually.  You have to have easy days sometimes though.  enjoy time with parents.

15/03/2013 at 21:57
Last night shift,tready time now quick 5k????
Have a good night all.
16/03/2013 at 13:57

AFTERNOON ALL

COME ON WALES ITS BEER time b4 my LSR tomorrow

16/03/2013 at 20:32

A good day's running here today! First off 6.2m including leading the field home in our hilly and muddy trail Parkrun in 19.44, then a post-lunch 10.05m in 1.11.50 and finally a 4.1m recovery run to round off the day

16/03/2013 at 21:03

Well done JD - 3 runs in a day is quite something! 'Hilly & muddy trail' - now I like the sounds of that! I was contemplating my 2nd run earlier but have a lot of walking, gym & a longer run planned for tomorrow, so I did some housework and watched the rigby instead. Wales deserved the win, I'm so pleased for the team.

We've had all weathers today - sun, rain, wind, sleet & snow. Never know what's going to happen next!

Ran the a 5K in Swansea bay today - think I was 3rd or 4th lady home & haven't a clue about my time. I seem to run bettet these days when I leave the watch at home. It was very cold & I needed the loo from the 2.5k mark (even though I must have emptied my bladder about 4 times before the start) so the 2nd half of the race was a wee bit uncomfortable for me

MM61 - hoep you enjoyed the game.

Griff -hope your shifts are going ok. Back to the joys of the treadmill again!

NR - great to see you earlier. Thanks.

16/03/2013 at 21:29

Evening all

Well done Wales.  Excellent score.

JD - training is going well.  Well done.

LTS - it was  a good event and hopefully it will happen more often.  Great crowd there and enjoyed catching up with everyone.  Enjoy your rest this evening, sounds like you have a busy day tomorrow.

Swam this morning which was nice

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.