Pose Method

1 to 20 of 73 messages
27/04/2003 at 15:23
Anyone experienced any positive results from the new (pose) method of running that some runners are raving about?

What sort of time reductions are involved?
29/04/2003 at 12:14
I don't even know what it is!

Please explain.

In-The-Dark Shambler!
29/04/2003 at 12:40
no idea shamler, daz - enlighten please...
29/04/2003 at 12:46
Is it exercising and maintaining street cred at the same time?
29/04/2003 at 12:49
Is that the funny running thing where you're supposed to be doing controlled falling?

I think some of the British Triathlon team used it - Tim Don is a name I vaguely remember.
29/04/2003 at 13:06
Daz - where are ya? sposed to be letting me know what the posey running is, thats where!!
29/04/2003 at 13:56
Mis-read Sub4 Fruity Reindeer - thought she was asking about controlled farting!!
29/04/2003 at 13:57
*HE* thank you Dangly :-)
29/04/2003 at 14:51
Pose is essentially the same technique that Gordon Pirie advocates in his book, 'Running Fast and Injury Free'. It is an emphasis on running with a high stride rate, landing on the forefoot with bended knees using lightweight shoes.

You can get a video and book from the pose website or you can just follow the advice in Gordon Pirie's book. I've been doing it for the last 6 months and it has transformed my running. Before I started I was a heel striker blighted with injuries, since changing over I've been completely free of injuries. I'm a little faster but not significantly so.

Websites :-

http://www.posetech.com
http://www.gordonpirie.com
06/05/2003 at 16:51
Been away for a while....

Tom, nice one. You say it has transformed your running. In what way? I presume you have you experienced a number of pb's?

Yes, I've seen this method of running crop up quite often lately, mainly in triathlon circles. It may be that it's a little easier on your legs when you come off the bike. There's another mention in this months 220 Triathlon (in the shops right now) on page 51).

I have heard a number of stories (again, mainly triathletes) of people who have slashed their running times because they introduced this technique. Some had to suffer various muscle pains for a few weeks as their legs got used to the new technique. But it paid off in the long run.

I myself started trying to run in a 'pose' fashion from the beginning of the year. I found myself breaking my half marathon pb by 1:20mins (1:26:40 - 1:25:20), and I feel a lot more comfortable.

Like Tom says you are using gravity to assist forward momentum by leaning forward into your run (the point that you feel you are about to fall forward), while at the same time bringing up you leg a bit quicker.

Daz

06/05/2003 at 16:53
Some scientist has also been preaching about hill running lately - can't remember his name.

He basically claims that up hill running is a waste of time if you want to get faster over longer distances because it increases muscle size (and weight) and encourages your muscle fibres to get lazy and move slower.

He claims you should only run downhill as much as possible to speed up leg movement, as well as the flat.

06/05/2003 at 16:53
Lean into your run from your waist or ankles? I've always thought the former was a fault and the latter good technique.
06/05/2003 at 16:56
You're supposed to lean the whole body in line (don't bend), and run on the balls of your feet. Imagine the contact you get with the ground when you run on the spot....same thing.

I know it sounds painful to have all that stress placed on the balls of feet but apparently it works (albeit with a few weeks of pain for some people)

d
06/05/2003 at 17:05
Is there anywhere on the net with pictures (moving or static) of this method. I'm one of those hopeless types that has to see something for it to make sense!

Intrigued Shambler!
06/05/2003 at 17:08
Yes, but I can't remember the URL!
06/05/2003 at 17:12
Thanks, Fruity! I'll see what I can find and report back if I have any luck.

Happy Shambler!
06/05/2003 at 17:13
Oh well, that was easy!

Pose technique

Sorry - the last post of mine wasn't much help!
06/05/2003 at 17:18
Thanks, Fruity. I just found this after my last post - but I can't find any pictures.... or am I not looking properly?

Happy Shambler!
07/05/2003 at 14:09
Hiiiyaaaa,

Yeh you're right, the buggers don't have any pics. There are plenty of vids on sale though (oh I get it!). Nevermind.

There is also some more info on the 'pose' here : http://www.trymysport.co.uk/pose_running.htm
07/05/2003 at 14:26
Thanks, Daz - will check it out.

Happy Shambler!
1 to 20 of 73 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.