Possible Derby Parkrun

21 to 40 of 40 messages
10/07/2012 at 12:11

Does anybody know if there is anybody planning ojn setting up a parkrun is Derby?

21/08/2012 at 12:05

I'm sure there was mention of a forthcoming Derby parkrun on the Marathon Talk podcast recently. Just trying to find information on it myself.

22/08/2012 at 16:25

Hope a parkrun does get set up. I've suggested a Long Eaton one to the parkrun people but no response so far. It's a 30 min drive to conkers or nottingham for me so a closer one for some 5k challenges would be great.

Elvaston has my vote (or Long Eaton of course )

29/08/2012 at 10:56

Anywhere closer that Conkers or Nottingham would be good

29/08/2012 at 12:32

What about using a route similar to the Colin Potter 10k - there has to be scope to do one on Darley Fields, maybe use Chester Green too - is a short section on pavement a total no no ?

31/08/2012 at 13:20

Elvaston Castle could attract people from the western parts of Nottingham too - the Nottingham Park Run is on the eastern side of the city.

30/09/2012 at 18:44

Hi, Has there been any update on this? I go running at Alvaston Park and the river path/canal path too, so if there was a park run near there that would be really good.  I don't have a car though, so other places would be more difficult.

Chris_L wrote (see)

Any update on this? I'd definitely be very interested - been to the Conkers Parkrun before. Elvaston Castle has excellent potential and doesn't get too busy - close to the A50 and A52 too. A loop from the car park round the grounds is almost bang on 5K. Only issue would be other users (dog walkers, cyclist, horseriders). Alvaston Park might work too if it goes down by the river. It has a car park and cafe also but busy on a Saturday morning with football and BMX. I live next to Allestree Park and would agree it is too small plus the A6 is a busy road which would need crossing to get the distance. Small car park and no cafe. Darley Abbey might work but it's extremely busy (even this morning) on a Saturday morning with dog walkers, BMF and Derby Rowing
07/10/2012 at 12:38
A friend is very close to starting a Parkrun at Darley Park. A group of us are having a couple of trial runs this week. I think the aim is to start the event later this month.
07/10/2012 at 19:19

Ooh - exciting!

07/10/2012 at 20:55

Great - any clues to the route ?

01/11/2012 at 21:21
Is there any update on this yet??
08/11/2012 at 11:41

I was under the impression it was going to be Markeaton Park? Can't imagine Darley Park would provide a very good route as there are no real paths.

06/12/2012 at 09:58

Hi, I'm not sure if you have seen the email from parkrun this week, but it says....

Volunteers needed for Derby parkrun
- We are close to launching a new event in Darley Park and all that’s left is to build the volunteer team. If you’d like to offer your support to volunteer event director Ian Schofield please contact us via email helloUK@parkrun.com

06/12/2012 at 19:19

Yes, saw Parkrun news today and delighted that Derby will have its own weekly run - much easier to get to than Nottingham,Mansfield or Sheffield for me.

Surprised that it's not at Markeaton Park - Derby Hospitals hold a very successful 5k charity jog there at Christmas each year ,all on paths , usually around 300 runners and no problems with other park users. Also good car parks. Has this been looked at and rejected ?

Anyway congratulations to the organisers and I look forward to the first event.

P.s. The 'Jingle Jog' is this Sunday (9th) Markeaton. Warm up at 10.30. Entries can be on the day (not sure how much) & includes the Santa suit !

05/04/2013 at 07:46

Just seen on the Park run website that Derby starts on 27th April

05/04/2013 at 15:06

Thanks Saffy Sweety Pea, I'd missed that ! Looks a scenic course, hope to have a trundle round on the 27th.

12/04/2013 at 14:47

unfortunatley that is the day before the Derby 10k so I will have to miss the first one, but looking forward to participating from then on.

27/04/2013 at 20:02

Did anyone do Derby Parkrun today? How we did it go? Like stringy I'm doing Derby 10k tomorrow so didn't do the Parkrun, but should hopefully be there next Saturday.

03/05/2013 at 22:51

Yes I was there with 96 others. Seemed to go well apart from some difficulties with the barcode scanner. Mostly flat but with one short steep hill we had to do twice. Lots of grass which was fine last week but could be a bit grim in the wet. Have a good run tomorrow.

04/05/2013 at 21:58

I did Darley Parkrun this morning and really enjoyed it.......but that hill....twice .     I definitely need to do more hill training!

I shall be back next week.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 40 of 40 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.