Post race strategy

What to do after a race

7 messages
29/07/2008 at 09:45

I have done a couple of events now this year (half marathon in March and 2 10Ks). There is a lot in Runner's World about pre-race programmes for specific distances and I have found the programmes useful for ideas and shaping my own training. My issue is what to do post race. I have found that after a race for about the next 3-4 days I am more tired than normal, a bit grumpy and negative and even after a week I am not back to full training. I am not sure what I should be doing post race to recover. Below are the things I do

1. Immediate post race - have a recovery sports drink (carbs and protein, Hi5)

2. Sip an isotonic drink over the next hour or so and have a carbohydrate meal

3. Try to get to bed early

4. Don't train for 2-3 days and then ease back in with a recovery run

What do other people do as I feel I need to try something different?

29/07/2008 at 09:56

I do the same as you Michael even though I have only done 10K.

I have though the opposite effect with my general feeling after I am usually buzzing and highly motivated and can't wait to get back into training for the next one.

Are you grumpy and negative because you failed to meet a personal goal in the race or just because of the tirdness?

Joe

29/07/2008 at 09:58

Maybe because I am no elite athelete (63mins 10k PB), I just carry on as I did before the race, just start training for the next race immediately.

After my first 10k, I did rest for a week, but found I didn't really need to.
29/07/2008 at 11:08

Hi Joe,

My 3 races so far this year I have hit all my goals, which were 1hr 45mins for the half marathon, under 50 mins for my first 10K and under 45 mins for my second 3 months later.

After the race itself I am usually buzzing as well it is really the next days when I wake up I feel tired etc. which isn't me as I am usually one of those irritatingly positive people

29/07/2008 at 14:51

Go for a post run warm down jog - of maybe 2/3 miles with club mates - disect the race in minute details - hang about for the presentation just in case they are handing out prizes that low down the field, whilst drinking a sugary coffee and eating the home made caeks on offer.

Drive home, back to training as normally Monday evening -  

30/03/2009 at 19:07

I did my first 10k road race yesterday and feel quite low today. I had a brilliant time and was buzzing afterwards.

I think my low is because I would rather be out there running than sitting at my PC at home trying to make a living  After yesterday, it feels like if I could physically race every day, I probably would {nutter}

Since I started running, I decided to retrain as a weightloss counsultant and now plan to do either sports psychology, sports nutrition as well, or something like that so I can try and make my enjoyment my work. I think running has such a great effect on us, that it's quite normal that when you come back to earth, you feel like a grizzly with a sore head. That's me anyway  

07/04/2013 at 19:40
I was pondering the same thing I did the Lincoln 10k today and was happy with my time but wonder how to train post race and for the next one. I had followed an 8 week plan for today which worked well for me but surely I don't go back to step 1.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.