Post race treats

17 messages
14/11/2012 at 13:03

Was just pondering on this, as I am a bit bored at work....! 

Does anyone else treat themselves after a race?  My O/H and I usually treat ourselves to a post race curry from our favourite curry house, with a few beers.  Or it could be a McDonalds breakfast the day after a race.  Either way, it's always something that we've cut from our diet during training as it's not that healthy and hence viewed as a 'treat'.

Is this quite common, or are we just weird??

14/11/2012 at 16:12

I'm a full time greedy bastard so 'treats' form a part of my normal diet.

(Apart from McDonalds which I don't really like)

14/11/2012 at 16:31

I remember after running my marathon PB, all I wanted was an ice cream.

14/11/2012 at 17:23
Usually go to the pub and the have a curry. In the summer when I do our local 50k then a BBQ at home.
14/11/2012 at 17:26

Yes, and not just races.

I had an ice cream a few weeks ago after a long run. I actually wondered whether it was a good post run snack. The balance of carbs and protein must be close to optimal?

14/11/2012 at 18:13

But maybe sightly biased toward fat.

I usually want water or if it's cold then a cup of tea. Neither are treats but I usually don't fancy anything after a race.

14/11/2012 at 18:48

fruit pastels, no idea why i crave them on hard or long runs

14/11/2012 at 19:11

I did my first ever HM a couple of weeks ago in the pouring rain and there was a lot of banter going around about what 'treats' we were all after- popular ones seemed to be wine, beer, chinese, curry or pie. I wouldn't have fancied it straight after, but 6 hours later it was delicious (chinese and wine for me, although I could only manage one glass before I fell asleep). 

15/11/2012 at 10:01

Curry and a few jars.  Just "let it all hang out" stuff.  Deep fried starters, dirty great meat fest main and some naan bread washed down with some lovely ale.

15/11/2012 at 10:09
A man after my own heart SB
15/11/2012 at 10:29

Nothing better than I nice Chinese after a tough race!!

15/11/2012 at 10:37

After a particularly gruelling race (e.g. Sunday just gone) I like to treat myself to a Sunday roast straight afterwards AND a curry in the evening.  Amazingly I think it's the first time I've ordered saag paneer with my chicken chilli massala and it went down a treat.

15/11/2012 at 13:03

Excellent, so not just us then, which is good to know.

Got a race on Sunday so afterwards it'll be a nice cold pint of shandy and the slab of white chocolate I bought from Hotel Chocolat (obviously after a recovery milkshake and lots of water) and then a lovely curry with naan bread for tea - it's almost worth the run....

15/11/2012 at 13:48
Yep I'm with Lou I'm a full time greedy bastard . Same food just different excuses!
15/11/2012 at 14:01

pizza is my pre, during and post race treat.

16/11/2012 at 10:10

My post club-run treat last night was a Goat Curry, with 'Rice & Peas' that I'd bought during the day in Leeds, from a Caribbean cafe up Roundhay Road

Paired with a couple of bottles of Supermalt

http://www.supermalt.com/index.php/en/

Edited: 16/11/2012 at 10:11
16/11/2012 at 12:44
Just read this thread and for me too it's fruit pastiles on during or after a long run so much so i take a pound or so with me in case the urge gets strong. No idea why as I don't east them normally. Run has to be 12 miles plus for the urge to kick in...after race I usually just feel sick! Give it a few hours and I gorge myself on crisps and chocolate pizza curry anything!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
17 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.