Post run eating?

What do you eat?

1 to 20 of 45 messages
20/10/2009 at 13:26

I tend to do my long (for me) run early on a Saturday Morning, after a snack of a banana and a glass of lucozade sport.

After the run I then tend to feel starving all day and then commbined with a few drinks Sat Eve tend to probably eat far too much on a Saturday as a result of my long run / Saturday treats / reduced willpower after alcohol.

I know before a run = eat carbs. But what about after?

I would like to return from the run and have a filling, satisfying brunch (about 11:30am) that keeps me going until our evening meal (about 7 - 8pm).

What do you recommend / eat after your LSR?

TIA

Kev

20/10/2009 at 13:30
Porridge and home made fruit toast does it for me, and a large cup of decent fresh coffee
20/10/2009 at 13:31
it's always best to replenish with carbs and some protein (4:1 ratio) after a long run as your muscles need to restock their glycogen stores - and the best time to do this is within 40mins of finishing the run

many people aren't happy eating straight after a long run so recovery drinks like Rego come in handy here as it gives what you need and some fluid at the same time

others who don't mind solid food swear by things like chicken sandwiches, tuna wraps etc - your call basically if you stick roughly with the 4:1 ratio

I usually take Rego which normally fills me enough until evening meal time
20/10/2009 at 14:33
I usually like to have a nice bowl of porridge a couple of hours before my LSR. Then I tend to have a glass of milk on my return with a banana. I will wait awhile before having a light lunch and then meal in the evening.
20/10/2009 at 14:44

Anything that takes my fancy. I find when I'm training hard that my body craves what it needs so I generally feed it what it wants.

Faves after a long run include all the obvious choices - pasta, potatoes, banana, cereal/yoghurt etc. Pizza is always good too, but get a bit 'eyes too big for my belly' sometimes, so can't stomach much. Warm, cosy food like toasted hot cross buns are good, as are sugar-sprinkled-strawberries. Especially good when it forms that cherry-red syrupy liquid in the bottom of the bowl. Ohh..

Edited: 20/10/2009 at 14:45
20/10/2009 at 14:56

Scrambled eggs with sardines (or spinach) on toast, big mug of tea.

Then a bit of a rest for an hour, then a bit more toast with Peanut butter and a nice cup of proper (none of your instant bollocks) coffee.

Edited: 20/10/2009 at 15:03
20/10/2009 at 15:57
What are instant bollocks, Nick?
20/10/2009 at 16:03

I usually have a can of cold baked beans straight away then once I'm showered and dressed I'll have a bowl of porridge and toast and marmalade (pref with real butter!), a cup of non-proper coffee (!!) and a pint of herbal tea.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
20/10/2009 at 16:17
usually a bowl of muesli with fruit and a couple of slices of wholemeal toast with peanut butter, washed down by a large mug of something hot, like fruit tea.
20/10/2009 at 16:54

Cold baked beans?!   Each to their own Pavey!

I can't stomach much after a run so have some chocolate milk. Then I don't eat until my next meal / snack, which I know is norty but I just don't want to eat anything

20/10/2009 at 17:09
I have a piece of fruit and a few nuts - don't know if it's 4:1, probably not. If I don't eat soon enough I get really drowsy like I've been drugged and need a kip!
20/10/2009 at 18:07
porridge and / or toast with peanut butter and banana.
Rc.    pirate
20/10/2009 at 18:40
Love the Goodness Shakes with 3 large doorstep wedges of toast with Peanut butter. It doesnt get much better than that surely?
20/10/2009 at 20:34

After my morning Sunday LSR I nibble on a few things like nuts, bread and olives, fruit etc while I'm waiting for my lunch to get ready - usually curry & rice, risotto or pasta.  If I'm in a hurry when I get back, I make pancakes stuffed with a sauce made out of some tinned tomatoes heated and mashed up a bit which has had small pieces of chargrilled halloumi dropped into it.  Yum!

20/10/2009 at 21:17
Peanut butter seems a popular choice - must try it.
20/10/2009 at 21:24
Crunchy, Kev. Don't come on here if you're gonna do smooth...
20/10/2009 at 21:35
Siance wrote (see)
Crunchy, Kev. Don't come on here if you're gonna do smooth...

I'd best be off then

20/10/2009 at 22:47

I like to eat fillet steak with steamed veg!

...Linda xx

21/10/2009 at 13:28

Oy yes - crunchy it will be.

Will be adding it in to my trolley tonight!

21/10/2009 at 13:42
Definitely crunchy peanut butter.  Smooth is for beginners.  (Sorry Siance, I think I nicked that off you about a year ago but I loved the phrase so much I've been using it ever since.)
1 to 20 of 45 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.