Post-run recovery on the go

What do you recommend for a post run breakfast?

19 messages
13/05/2009 at 07:20
I train an hour every day in the morning and barely have time to shower and get to work let alone sit down for breakfast. I'm trying to lose weight so it's tempting to have nothing but know it's important to have something or I feel dreadful the next day. What can I just grab on the morning commute? Minimal (i.e. no) preparation involved would be perfect!
13/05/2009 at 07:31
A sandwich and a pot of yoghurt?
13/05/2009 at 08:02
Yoghurt maybe but not the sandwich. Yup, I'm that lazy! I also have a pathological aversion to bread.
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
13/05/2009 at 08:07
A banana and 2 large spoons of peanut butter - I would have said toast and peanut butter  for the perfect match of carbs and protein but you don't like bread.
13/05/2009 at 08:09
how about a you mix some muesli and yoghurt in a tub the night before....or i'm sure you can buy yoghurt topped with granola or soemthing like that....
13/05/2009 at 08:11

Good call Ultra IronWolf - i had that after my run yesterday morning.....i usually have porridge and banana but had left it all at work and i was working from home so had to improvise and it was yummy!

13/05/2009 at 08:20
Thanks Sydney. Along that theme, I tried to blend yoghurt, apple juice and Oatabix. Oatabix looks like compressed hamster cage bedding bricks and tastes like it too. The blend was more appetizing but I left it for 5mins to shower, came back and it had set like cement. Hope the manufacturers take note!
13/05/2009 at 08:24

mmm, i put oats in a smoothie once and i didn't like the outcome...plus i tried oatbix once and thought it was yuck...no need for it when you can have yummy porridge!

Any kind of smoothie would be a good option though and really yummy!

13/05/2009 at 09:00

Milkshake or Protein Shake and a couple of slices of Ryvita.

Don't knock Oatibix. I luv them (not on their own though). I have 2 with fibre bran and strawberries. Tastes really nice, its my favourite meal of the day and fantastic nutrition-wise.
13/05/2009 at 09:33

Oatibix is reckon there must be real hamster bedding in it as it soaks up milk at an alarming rate.. more than weetabix.

Pengwin, this does require some prep i.e. 1 min empty one sachet of oats-so-simple into a small lidded container and stir in a fruit yoghurt of your choice. Seal and stick in the fridge.

Don't forget to pack a spoon for eating it later!

13/05/2009 at 09:42

try a small low fat natural yoghurt with a tiny pinch of crushed almonds

13/05/2009 at 09:51

>> Pengwin, this does require some prep i.e. 1 min empty one sachet of oats-so-simple into a small lidded container and stir in a fruit yoghurt of your choice. Seal and stick in the fridge.

That sounds really nice.

13/05/2009 at 10:36

Good idea Siance ... might even try that myself!!

13/05/2009 at 10:41
chocolate yazoo?
13/05/2009 at 11:44

Have a big dirty burger that you have purchased from McDonalds or another burger-related joint a few days before....
13/05/2009 at 13:32
Now we're talking. Although dirty burgers don't appear on many healthy diet lists. Any other savoury suggestions?
13/05/2009 at 16:24
Soup (taken with you in a vacuum flask) or a freshly-squeezed fruit/vegetable juice perhaps?
13/05/2009 at 18:23
Thanks Parklife! I might just do that tomorrow.
19/05/2009 at 12:26
Mix rolled oats with either milk or apple juice, leave overnight in the fridge and eat with yoghurt the next morning straight out the container. If you are feeling like you could stretch to a little prep, adding grated apple or chopped banana is nice too. I find one part oats to two parts milk/apple juice works well. 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
19 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.