Power Breakfast - Oatmeal!

How do you make yours?

11 messages
20/02/2012 at 06:07

Have tried many types of breakfast that work with morning runs, but found that oatmeal (porriidge) is the best breakfast ever for runners - it sustains me for 20+km, has adequate hydration, energy, protein (with milk also), and does not affect digestion in that it does not sit in the stomach, and does not give [me] stomach problems. 

How do you make yours?

My recipe:

• 2 large tablespoon jumbo, chunky oats (I use Red Mill brand)
  • 1 large tablespoon "instant" oats (i.e. the finer type of oats)
  • Boiling water
  • Soya milk (fresh, with no preservative)
  • Raisins or dried cranberries
  • 1 tablespoon honey

Cooking:

• Simmer above for around 5 mins and leave to stand for 10 mins
  • Reheat, and add more water / milk as required (it gets quite sticky as it absorbs water)
  • Serve with banana or blueberries or strawberries or papaya (etc)

Delicious!  If I have to get out the door early for a 30 mins to 45 mins run, I go out empty stomach and look forward coming back to eat the porridge.  If I am running 10K+, then I'll have half a bowl with some fruit, and then am out the door, to eat the rest when I come back for recovery meal.

20/02/2012 at 09:01
I'm trying to convert to porridge but it's been a slow process as I'm not quite fond of the texture or taste.

However I have another variation that I like a lot. I take a serving of raw uncooked porridge oats and mix it with a low fat yoghurt. It tastes nice and that way I get my serving of porridge oats.
Edited: 20/02/2012 at 09:01
20/02/2012 at 14:37

I do mine with organic jumbo oats, raisins, sun flower seeds, dried apricots, dried apples and sprinkle cinnamon on top.. . Mix it in water and put it in Microwave (easier than on hob). when ready i mix it with skimmed milk and off I go.. great start to any day.

20/02/2012 at 15:25
No matter what I mix in with my porridge - oatmeal, jumbo oats or other, it still wears off far too quickly. The only way I can get a suitable set-up for a long run is to eat the porridge with seeds, fruit etc and then have a couple of hard-boiled eggs too - now that works a treat, think it must be the addition of the protein.
20/02/2012 at 18:11
Those recipes are far too complex. Local organic oats,water, microwave, Simples! (and a nice mug of Green and Blacks hot chocolate)
20/02/2012 at 19:40

Large bowl of porridge with semi skinned milk and a large spoon full of honey every day.

Never ever microwave!

M...eldy    pirate
20/02/2012 at 20:09
as above, most days, always with a microwave 
20/02/2012 at 21:28
I go for multigrain porridge oats made in the microwave with skimmed milk, then topped with chopped banana and a small spoonful of Nutella stirred through - lovely!
20/02/2012 at 21:32
Cinnamon and brown sugar or nutella
20/02/2012 at 21:41

I hear ya, Johnny again... if I get to work after 9, then I chuck a sachet of Oat So Simple into a cardboard cup and soak it in hot water from the kettle with the lid on for a while (no microwaves at work, boo). Bish, bash, bosh.

If I get to work before 9, then free porridge, whoo! (company policy). Lord only knows what they put in it, but I go for their soya porridge as I don't get on with lactose. One of these days, I'll really have to ask what they put in it to make it so addictive.

20/02/2012 at 22:01
22 miles done today on a bowl of bran flakes, a banana and two mugs of coffee.

750mls of water and 3 gels during the run.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
11 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.