Power walkers...

21 to 40 of 62 messages
12/10/2012 at 20:55

I agree BBH.  The power walking group near me reckon they can get you round a marathon at roughly 12 min/miling.

Tommygun2    pirate
12/10/2012 at 21:01

But whats the point of that schmunks, if they can do that they may as well run it faster. (sorry I just don't get the Power walking thing)

12/10/2012 at 21:28

Because walking is much more natural, easier, less painful, likely to cause fewer injuries than running!

12/10/2012 at 21:32

I dunno, I feel wearier after walking 10K than I do after running it.

12/10/2012 at 21:42

You might as well ask 'What's the point in running?' in reality there is non. Same for football, well even more so for football. It's just a different sport or activity.

Not everyone is going to like running, my partner would never dream of running, it doesn't appeal but I'm sure he would enjoy powerwalking as he loves walking and hiking.

Power walking has non of the impact issues that running does so in many ways is better. I know I would never have sustained half the injuries I have if I walked rather than run. (though who knows as jumping ditches isn't everyones idea of running either).

seren nos yn canu    pirate
12/10/2012 at 21:42

less stress on your joints etc......i think walking is much better exercise than running........especially if carrying a bit of weight or have any health problems........

12/10/2012 at 21:53
I must say that running just seems a more natural movement than race walking to an uneducated eye. However, brisk walking is a great cardio exercise that can get people fitter and slimmer and able to move on, eventually, to running
12/10/2012 at 22:06
Just don't get all the athletic gear stuff going on if your just goiing out for a walk. I wear walking boots myself for walking!
Tommygun2    pirate
12/10/2012 at 22:08

Well I guess walking is pretty natural but speed walking is certainly not. It may have less impact on certain joints but it also is so unatural that it will affect other joints like hips groin and feet.

Plus it looks pretty stupid

( please note this is Friday evening and sensible reasonable posts will not be tolerated)

12/10/2012 at 22:17
Sorry. I was trying to overcompensate for the wine consumed by trying hard to sound reasonable. It does look stupid
12/10/2012 at 22:29
Why all the gear? Some of them look like they are about to do UTMB, not a stroll around the block.
12/10/2012 at 22:31
Tommygun2 wrote (see)

But whats the point of that schmunks, if they can do that they may as well run it faster. (sorry I just don't get the Power walking thing)

Manybe because they may not want to?  Because they may have injuries?  Breathing problems?  Who knows.  But at the end of the day, it's their decision. Who are we to judge whether one way of getting from A to B is better or worse than another?

I went out for a run with Barlos on Sunday at a v slow pace.  My feet were coming off the ground at a quicker pace than if I was walking.  My heart rate was elevated. It was not running, but neither was it walking

He carried on at the same pace, yet I was able to power walk to keep up with him.  My heart rate dropped and there was less impact as my tread was more gentle. 

I reckon I was going at the same pace whether I was 'jogging' or whether I was 'power walking', but the power walking was less impact and was easier on my asthma and therefore I felt more comfortable from the power walk angle.

And yes, Barlos was surprised too as he had never had experience of it before.  He thought like you, that power walking was somehow inferior to running (sorry, rash judgement there), but I proved to him I can power walk at his slow jogging pace and be in a much better state at the end

12/10/2012 at 22:38
Millsy1977 wrote (see)
Why all the gear? Some of them look like they are about to do UTMB, not a stroll around the block.

But it's not a stroll.  What you're referring to is leisure/fitness walking.  Power walking is a purposeful long stride with exaggerated arm movements with elevated heart rate etc

A stroll implies a leisurely walk down the local high street or through the woods with no rise in breathing or HR

13/10/2012 at 07:56

So what's the etiquette when you're catching up with a power walker, walking faster using your more natural and efficient walking action?  Overtake anyway, break into a jog, or drop back so as not to offend?

13/10/2012 at 08:32
I lost loads of weight when I was long distance walking and at my best, got down to around a 5 hour walked marathon time. I was training for a specific event (the Njmegen Marches in Holland) where I had to walk 30 miles a day for four consecutive days.
I then returned to running, and yes I'm faster as a runner, but I have had more injuries and gained the weight I lost back.
I'm having a year off from all events in 2013, but I would seriously consider getting back into things via walking and the LDWA the year after.
13/10/2012 at 08:55

They wear the gear for the same reason we do. Because they are working up a sweat, getting hot and want to be comfortable. Power walking is done at around 80% mhr.

Why should a power walker want to 'move on' to running. Maybe they think runners will eventually move on to pwer walking.

It's a different sport.

13/10/2012 at 15:14
Sport? Is there a power walking championship? As I remember it, power walking is walking purposefully with exaggerated upper body movement to give an all over work out. A good way to keep fit without stressing the body as much as running. You could no more be competitive at it then you could be at Pilates or Yoga.
13/10/2012 at 19:58

One of the definitions of sport is to mock or ridicule someone/thing.  Sounds familiar?

13/10/2012 at 20:07

I'm actually surprised to see another definition is "an active pastime, recreation".

So feeding the ducks is sport then.

13/10/2012 at 20:54
Actually sport as a verb to mock is not familiar at all. Like " Bear B Hind made a stupid comment and everyone else sported him" ??
21 to 40 of 62 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.