Pregnancy and exercise - does society judge?

41 to 46 of 46 messages
28/09/2012 at 09:59
fairy elephant wrote (see)
Jamie Newton 2 wrote (see)
skotty wrote (see)

my mrs cycled 20km to the hospital while in labour, gave birth and jogged back home afterwards with little'un on her back...

Why didn't she take her bike home? Did you pinch it?  hee hee

obviously she didn't have a helmet for the baby

Hee hee

19/11/2012 at 15:39

I think that I have definitely been judged for exercising during pregnancy!
On my morning run last week I had a delightful busy body say that I was being selfish!
I think too often people think that mums running or exercising is due to vanity, when there is so much more to it than that!
It's so frustrating!
There is a similar thread on this forum too  http://www.fittamamma.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=17&sid=10996bbd3c7b9260a8392fd1e1191e52 

cougie    pirate
19/11/2012 at 15:58

Spam Womble to aisle one please....

Oh best bring towels and hot water - just in case....

19/11/2012 at 16:02

I think everyone is going to complain no matter what you do. If you're fat - they'll tell you to not run because you'll kill your joints. You shouldnt run if you're on your period etc. As others have said - just listen to your body.

22/11/2012 at 17:07

Ran a 5k in the summer and there was a heavily pregnant lady. To be honest i was more worried about her beating me than passing judgement (she looked like a serious runner to me even with bump).

I confess to having a little thought of "is this wise?" but I kept my opinions to myself as I have no knowledge to judge from.   

PG3
25/11/2012 at 19:59

I ended up on a st johns ambulance stretcher at mile 18 at VLM.  I was pregnant but didnt't know it.  Despite being marathon fit before pregnancy, I couldn't get on with running whilst pregnant, it made me feel horrible and a bit faint.  I also struggled with yoga as your head is down alot in yoga  and it made me feel dizzy. I did swim lots, use the gym and do power walking.  A few people made some dumb comments but most people were fine.  Despite exercising, I managed to pile on weight... 

Personally, I wouldn't race whilst pregnant.  I was told that you had to keep your heart rate below 150 and I am not sure I could do what whilst 'racing'.

One of the problems of being pregnant is that you become some kind of public property, everyone comments on you/your bump and seems to have an opinion on what you should and shouldn't be doing.  Just do what works for you...

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 46 of 46 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.