Pulling out of a race early.

61 to 66 of 66 messages
03/04/2013 at 11:43

No doubt the debate will be back soon.

Milton Keynes marathon incorporates transfer of places. Good on them. Shame it can't cope with the simplest of transfers, e.g. from affiliated runner to unaffiliated runner without manual intervention from the race organisers.

= Yet another badly spec'd out bit of development work  that a developer was only too willing to implement for them.

03/04/2013 at 11:50

taxi - but davids offering will be cheaper than using full on sport etc... so to make it accessible to smaller events on tighter budgets per user

david, what about ongoing maintenance?  as we know software/systems fall over. who is going to be on call free of charge to set this up.  Look at this forum, something falls over and it takes weeks to resolve.  A small running club event will be anxious to take such a risk.

Anyway it sounds like you have an excellent opportunity to make some very easy $ david.  This easy to set up system can be created off the shelf for events and maintained by you in your down time.  It will be repeat business as the event is each yr and can be rolled out to many events with no re-work. 

03/04/2013 at 12:36

Will you also donate the server that this is going to be hosted on? Transfers sometimes require additional payment - have you thought that through? As a small business owner the amount of red tape I get caught up in with PCI security etc can be a nightmare.

David as a developer, are you not reinventing something that already exists? Why not look at the online event registration systems that exist, e.g. regonline.activeeurope.com Some of these systems can cope with transfers, although someone somewhere either has not spe'd the full requirements, or the developer got bored and moved on to more fertile pastured.

03/04/2013 at 14:25
Yes, things aren't like they used to be in I.T. In my day we used to charge out the work experience guy at ??1100 a day.

Regonline is one of the ones that does transfers badly. Probably used the work experience on that one.

I guess taking all this on, along with the ongoing costs will help you sleep at night
03/04/2013 at 14:31

as a lead on an IT project with a budget of approx $200m i know exactly how the charge out rates v quality of work ratio isnt in line

but as a pet project why not build it and charge less than 50p a user and see who bites.

but lets not forget how this all kicked off.  It was about transfers not entries.  you will need a central control over transfer changes unless you go down the user password option which is adding more potential issues.  So the transfers will be maintained by a nurse/gardener/surveyor who is the race director who doesnt feel comfortable using this tech.  they will need support which entails more cost/time.

03/04/2013 at 14:35

here's one

http://www.premiermarathons.com/

uses paypal or similar for payment gateway

This company also does a lot of value add stuff like race packs, chip timing etc, each with a price and profit for the company.  Works really well.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
61 to 66 of 66 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.