question for girls only!

1 to 20 of 46 messages
21/10/2006 at 20:44
I know its abit of a wierd question but I wondered if anyone can tell me about running on your period. I wondered if it affects your performance or if you should take it easy. I tried to ask friends who run but most avoid the question (so might not know either) or are on the injection. I know its abit gross but I just cant find info anywhere!
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
21/10/2006 at 20:51
for most women, exercise is good, cramps ease off and you feel much better. Elite athletes can't avoid competition just because of a period.
21/10/2006 at 20:53
It's not gross.

It doesn't affect me apart from makes me feel a bit more lightheaded than usual (I suffer from hypotension, or is it hypertension LOL I can never remember. Low blood pressure anyway which makes me sometimes feel dizzy). Other than that, no, no problem. However everyone's different aren't they, so if it does affect you, just take rest days, or swim or something - whatever you can do.

Paula set the world marathon record at Chicago after waking up that morning to find that she come on early. She said it was hardly ideal but just went out and saw what happened. ;-)

21/10/2006 at 20:53
I imagine it's different for all of us. I sometimes feel sluggish and uncomfortable when I run. I always try to take on more Iron before and during my period, but I'm not sure it makes much difference.

Fortunately I've yet to run a race while on, but I'm sure I will sooner or later so always continue to train regardless.

I never to let this get in the way of life.
Pink    pirate
21/10/2006 at 20:59
I find the week before more of a problem, and have actually PBd on the day I've come on

I'd say try it, if it makes you feel a bit wobbly take it easy, if not, plod on :-)
21/10/2006 at 21:15
I always run on my period but the first day my legs feel heavy and I feelreally wiped out but exercise helps with stomach Cramps.
I have raced on the first day and it was not a PB but i did equal my previous time.
So I expect slower times and it does not always pan out that way.
I did 800m reps on first day and I was no slower but no faster either which suprised me.

I refuse for it to effect my training schedule just go easy on myself if a workout seems tougher or I am slower.
21/10/2006 at 21:42
Agree with the above.

I can get a bit dizzy so I don't go too mental but I certainly don't stay at home.
21/10/2006 at 21:47
Tbh I've never noticed any difference. I think the only thing is to see how you go.
22/10/2006 at 14:42
I have run 3 races when I have my period on the day and have run great on all 3 occasions - got 2 PBs! Training through my period really helps me too as I dont tend to get cramps or get ratty but I do tend to get a bot emotional for no reason and running seems to get it out of me.
22/10/2006 at 16:21
The week before is always a problem for me-generally struggle more than usual.During the period(bar the first day) no different.
22/10/2006 at 19:27
The only day i can't run is the day it actually starts. From day 2 onwards i'm fine.

I think everyone is different.
22/10/2006 at 23:38
The only problem I had was sometimes got hormonal migraines which wiped me out for a few days. (now got the Mirena so no periods yeeeeehaaaaa) was cramp. Sometimes felt a bit sluggish when I started my run but by time I finished felt a lot better. (oh and sometimes got a bit chaffed but I will leave that to the imagination.
23/10/2006 at 08:31
Usually felt a bit sluggish and wanted to go home but as I run with my dog that is never an option. Always more of an effort but always feel better afterwards.
23/10/2006 at 08:32
very sluggish the week before

it wouldnt stop me running a race though
23/10/2006 at 08:38
Depo Provera works for me. It's an implant contraceptive that stops your periods. I haven't had pains or mood swings for about 8 years now and have noticed no other side effects, other than not having to carry tampons around with me!

Before then I used to swim competitively and had to train and race whatever time of the month it was. I found that swimming did help easy the pains and also that I needed to feed my cravings to maintain my energy levels. I used to eat more chocolate around my periods and if I didn't have it I felt worse. Eventually I realised that the craving for chocolate was because my body was needing iron so I started taking iron tablets around the time fo my period and it helped ease the cramps and boosted my energy levels!
23/10/2006 at 12:29
It happens to 50% of the population every month; we cope!
For me there's no real difference. Don't get PMT or cramps but feel bit more sleepy the day before. I'm lucky mine are very short and light.
Def think it's linked to physical activity, when I had a normal sit down job I suffered more cramps than I do now having an active one.
ImRio    pirate
23/10/2006 at 12:39
Not much fun the week before but run lots of races during the week and been fine

Dont let it stop you
23/10/2006 at 12:54
Ditto most of the above. I get a bit sluggish the week before, but it has never caused any problems during a race/run. If it's heavy I'll cut the run back accordingly.

I would say just listen to your own body and act accordingly. Even if you decide to not run at all - it's only a few days!
23/10/2006 at 13:01
Hi all,
i find it really hard to run on the first day of my peroid, the cramps get really bad for me and i feel as though my stomach is dropping out (now that is what you call grose) I always struggle through though and have to run much slower. After day 3 im fine and find i have really good training sessions and am full of energy
23/10/2006 at 19:48
I only have slight discomfort the morning I come on and after a few sly ibuprofen am fine to run. If I know I'll be racing on my period I run my pill together so I don't get it. I'm sure it wouldn't hamper my performance that much but I need all the help I can get!!
1 to 20 of 46 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.