Racing in full make-up

why?

21 to 40 of 58 messages
10/12/2012 at 10:46

I don't think it is necessarily about vanity, I know some women who are genuinely very self conscious about how they look without makeup (one in particular who has acne scars on her cheeks, not very noticeable in my opinion but it bothers her a lot, and she won't ever go without makeup in a public place even though she knows that sweating while wearing heavy foundation is probably making her skin worse).

The only makeup I have worn running is mascara, just because I wear it for work and do a lot of training during my lunchbreak. Mascara is a right pain to take off (and get it all off properly so I don't turn into Alice Cooper half way through my run!) and then reapply in the space of an hour without making my eyes feel gritty and irritated. I found a super-sweat proof one that doesn't budge at all during workouts so I just leave it on I wouldn't apply it especially for running though.

10/12/2012 at 11:38

These women who apply foundation like they're a plasterer look awful, and there's nothing worse than kissing a girl and all this slimy slop rubs off onto your face.

Women look so much better, even if they think they've something wrong with their skin with little or no make up, less is definitely more.

10/12/2012 at 12:23

I don't wear makeup for races, because I just don't see the point - it's going to sweat off and I'm afraid that I glow buckets when I run - just the way I'm made. 

If I have to go for a run after work, then I will be wearing what is left of the day's makeup (that hasn't slid off...) as I tend to just change and get out as soon as possible before the motivation leaves me...but I would never and have never applied make up just to go for a run - more than anything it's a waste of money as make up isn't cheap these days!

10/12/2012 at 13:45

Maybe RW should do a series of articles on how to look good in race photos. Something similar to Snog/Marry/Avoid, featuring a different woman each month. They could call it Follow Closely/Run Beside/Overtake quickly.

10/12/2012 at 13:50

i never wear any.

10/12/2012 at 13:55
I wear makeup every day for work but never for running mainly because the mix of sweat and slap would play havoc with my skin and I don't fancy the Alice Cooper look coupled with a big red shiny face ... mmm ...

I am slightly disappointed though at the trend for big name female athletes to put their face on to race - raises lots of questions about perceptions of women + sport + appearance + self confidence etc etc. Not great role modelling IMHO (crudely put - you might be a gold medal winner but you still gotta look good) but as everyone says, each to their own.
10/12/2012 at 13:57
TimR LOL they'd probably like that idea if the endless stream of totty they find for the magazine cover is anything to go by
10/12/2012 at 13:57

Maybe our priorities change as we develop as runners - I used to wear full slap when I worked in an office and didn't run but the more I ran the less time I had for faffing about - I'd rather spend an extra few minutes stretching before a crazily rushed shower!  I always wonder how long some ladies spend making themselves look so picture-perfect : there's just not enough time in the day...

And I definitely don't see the point of blusher

10/12/2012 at 16:30

No make up here either. I am always amazed at how long it takes other women at the gym. I don't blow dry my hair either - it takes hours - just tie it up and away I go.  I always reckon that most people would prefer me to turn up at work on time and tidy than with full make up.

I also agree - how do you look like you've made an effort for a night out if you always look like that?

With regards to running, even with a full face of "not run" make up I would look a state as my hair goes really frizzt

10/12/2012 at 17:44

I don't look like I've made an effort for a night out because I generally haven't.

10/12/2012 at 18:13

Never wear make up even for going out. I can't imagine running with it on my face.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
10/12/2012 at 18:24

I take my make-up bag with me wherever I go as I suffer from rosacea. After my shower, on goes some special skin cream and hide-and-heal stick over the worst of my broken veins, otherwise I look like I've just finished the run for the rest of the day!

Make-up and perfume in the swimming pool? As someone who spends 3 to 4 hours a week swimming, I hate smelling sickly perfume  or aftershave as I get my training done.

10/12/2012 at 20:28

local woman who ran for Britain at 40+ used to turn up with a face of slap on.

But then she did win a prize at EVERY single race she ever did, so was constantly in the photos!

11/12/2012 at 08:36
Fiona J wrote (see)

No make up here either. I am always amazed at how long it takes other women at the gym. I don't blow dry my hair either - it takes hours - just tie it up and away I go.  I always reckon that most people would prefer me to turn up at work on time and tidy than with full make up.

I also agree - how do you look like you've made an effort for a night out if you always look like that?

With regards to running, even with a full face of "not run" make up I would look a state as my hair goes really frizzt

'how do you look like you've made an effort for the night?'  you put more effort in thats what !!!

whilst a full face of makeup is really nor required (especially in high temps) i   do always wear make up for running, just less than i do for work or daily. i dont see anything wrong in wanting to make an effort with appearence , personally i think a lot of the 'cant be bothered/dont need it/takes too much time' attitude is just plain laziness on a lot of womens part, but as i say , each to their own.

my whole reason for running a long way is purely to top up my Bondi tan and make sure my hair is Baywatch blonde *waits for the fall out from this one*..........

11/12/2012 at 08:58

11/12/2012 at 09:38

What do the viewers think about men who wear make up for running ?

11/12/2012 at 09:43
Don't think even Eddie Izzard wore any. But then he wasn't running in high heels either.
11/12/2012 at 10:03
loulabell wrote (see)
 , personally i think a lot of the 'cant be bothered/dont need it/takes too much time' attitude is just plain laziness on a lot of womens part, but as i say , each to their own.

But why would I bother?  Who is going to be impressed by the sight of me with make-up streaked with sweat on my face?

That would look worse than no make-up at all.

LIVERBIRD    pirate
11/12/2012 at 10:06

I go a lovely shade of purple when I run anyway. Looks miles better than foundation

11/12/2012 at 10:17
Stilts wrote (see)
I wear makeup every day for work but never for running mainly because the mix of sweat and slap would play havoc with my skin and I don't fancy the Alice Cooper look coupled with a big red shiny face ... mmm ...

I am slightly disappointed though at the trend for big name female athletes to put their face on to race - raises lots of questions about perceptions of women + sport + appearance + self confidence etc etc. Not great role modelling IMHO (crudely put - you might be a gold medal winner but you still gotta look good) but as everyone says, each to their own.

Isn't this rather hypocritical? Why do you feel the need to wear make up for work? Does it increase your productivity? Doesn't you wearing make up at work raise questions about perceptions of women in the work place + ability + appearance + self confidence etc etc...

Not great role modeling IMHO

Thing is, athletics is an athletes job just the same as yours is.

21 to 40 of 58 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.