Racing Strategy query

14 messages
31/10/2010 at 16:21
Hello

Quick question on racing strategy....

I'm doing a 10k race in 7 days time (Mornington Chasers Winter Series) and have improved loads over the last 2-3 months of training. My last 10k race was 4 weeks ago and I did 53:24 which is the fastest I've ever run a 10k. Since then I've done another 53:20 10k although with a partner and I knew I could have run it 2 to 2.5 mins faster had I been on my own. I've also done a 24:19 5k and a 1:58:12 half marathon (in my defence, it was VERY hilly and VERY windy). So, therefore, indications are pointing towards a 51:30 as long as I don't get a stitch/fall down a crevasse/get drunk the night before.

However... my overly competitive side would LOVE to break 50 mins, so... the question is - is it stupid to just peg it and hope I can last out at that pace for 50 mins?

Any thoughts much appreciated
LPR
31/10/2010 at 17:07

Absolutely stupid to just peg it and hope you can last that pace imho.
Train in a manner which enables you to reach your goal, how are you training at the present time?

31/10/2010 at 17:19
hmmm, I suspected people on here might say that.... Thanks for the prod Squeakz, I need to reign in my ambitions! hehe.

I'm currently following the Runner's World sub 1:50 half-marathon training schedule which I'm finding a little bit difficult, so I'm just running slightly slower paces, but not as slow as the sub 2:00 schedule.
31/10/2010 at 18:18

I'd go for it - start off bang on 49.59 pace and see if you can keep it going.   If you are lucky you'll be able to tag onto a group or another runner going that speed and take pace from them.  

It's slower than your 5k pace - not massively so but still slower so you should be able to get further than half way at sub 50 pace - and once you are much more than half way in a 10k there is only a mile or so to go.  

31/10/2010 at 20:26

Sounds like you have the confidence to go for it, you will know pretty soon if the pace is too quick for you, if it is just back off a little.

Dustboy    pirate
31/10/2010 at 20:41
Very similar times to mine of a couple of years ago. The sub 50 (did it twice) comes on a day when everything just feels "right" but bang off too early and you will lose it. I normally try and work a negative split and go for the first 5K in 25. If you are on or very near target at around 8K, then nail the gas pedal to the carpet and pray, for the last K in such a situation, I will be running  90-93% max HR and last 100M at full max HR of 210. If you throw up at the end, you got it right! LOL! All IMO obviously.
31/10/2010 at 21:06
McMillan equates your 5k time with a 50:31 10k, so heading out at 50:00 pace is hardly suicidal, especially if you're on an improvment curve.  You probably won't have much to spare though, so even pacing is crucial.
Edited: 31/10/2010 at 21:07
31/10/2010 at 22:15
oh no... basically you've all just convinced me to go for it! Which actually I really want to do. I suppose if its too fast, I'll just have to slow down. Simples!

Right, so another question... bearing in mind that I've only got 6 days until race day, is it worth me trying to do 8k at sub 50 pace just for the practice? I've probably left it too late for that though haven't I?
31/10/2010 at 22:38

Actually, practising race pace a few days out is a very good idea, just not 8k of it!  It's too late to get any real fitness benefit from hard training now and you'll risk not being recovered in time for the race.  Consider a tempo run of something like 40 mins: 10 mins warm-up, 4k @ 5mins/km (20 mins), 10 mins cool-down.  Run the tempo section as evenly as possible and try to hit 5:00 for each split (if you can measure it, of course.)

Apart from that, the best thing you can do is a couple of very easy short runs and lots of rest before the race.

31/10/2010 at 22:51
cool, thanks for the tip PP I've got a forerunner, so measuring the splits is no problem.

I'm going to go into the race with the attitude that if I go faster than 53:20 (which I'm convinced I will do) then it'll be a PB, if I can do a sub 51:20 that'll be an amazing improvement in a month, and if I can do sub 50 then that'll be the dogs

I'll let you know how I get on, or if anyone else is doing the Mornington Chaser's Winter Series and spots a brunette vomming on the finish line - that'll be me
07/11/2010 at 15:07
Well, probably unsurprisingly, the sub 50 eluded me, but I did manage to knock 2 mins off my PB to get a 51:25

Maybe next time!
Dustboy    pirate
07/11/2010 at 16:35

Excellent. Good work. Quite often, going into the race aiming to break the big barrier will not result in it happening. But you are so close now. Try a different course next time. I have never broken 50 at Dunsfold despite it supposedly being a flat  PB course, yet have broken 50 twice on the Egdon Easy, which isn't flat.

By next year, you should have it!

07/11/2010 at 17:34
Hey 2 mins off a pb is excellent. You'll probably crack 50 next time. Well done.
08/11/2010 at 05:03

Congrats on the PB.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
14 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.