Random sights

things you see when out for a run..

21 to 40 of 139 messages
11/12/2011 at 10:42

on my run yesterday i encountered 6 deers that ran across the path infront of me and later my route was blocked by a heard of exmoor ponies with just a mile to go to my half way point. i tried to get them to move but they were not budging.

11/12/2011 at 14:34

Am loving all the wildlife stories

Just got in from a cross country race that involved running through a field containing woolly cows - don't know the make or model - just that two of them looked like pandas! Hoping someone got a photo so I can show you all.  Luckily they stayed in the corner when we all came trampling through.

11/12/2011 at 14:55
http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/614617/gallery/img_7610.jpg?width=350&height=233&mode=max

hahahaha - here they are - the panda cows:

Edited: 11/12/2011 at 15:22
11/12/2011 at 16:06

belted galloways I would suggest, although they are usually black and white. Panda cows seems a much more appropriate name though

the farm I help out at has a very friendly bull who loves a scratch but you forget that he weighs over a ton and often see walkers exiting his field rather rapidly.

11/12/2011 at 16:52
Fantastic stories except the dead body. On two of my standard runs there are llamas and buffalo which are inquisitive and smelly respectively!
11/12/2011 at 21:57
Where are you running? Do you get spat at?
12/12/2011 at 09:18
Sleepy, was the HCross XC yesterday?
12/12/2011 at 09:25

Belted galloways eh!  Looking forward to telling everyone when I see them next weekend - we were all wondering what they were

Aren't buffalo rather big?  I think I'd be a bit scared if I saw one of those wandering round here. And llamas always make me think of those with 2 heads - Dr Doolittle style (or maybe I dreamed them).

SFTL - Yip - were you there? - what a fantastic course eh?  I loved it!

Edited: 12/12/2011 at 09:25
12/12/2011 at 09:40

The Llamas might be alpaca's apparantly as they have a permed fringe!  but are friendly and cute looking. 

Spot the difference

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/148209/Gallery/llama.jpg

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/148209/Gallery/alapaca.jpg

The Buffulo are huuuuuge, very smelly and look aggresive so I stay on the other side of the barriers, They are held in by the motorway style armco barriers!

All this is in North Hampshire, just outside basingstoke

12/12/2011 at 10:12
I work in a pub and after a shift on a Friday, I got in early (for me anyway, at about 12:30am Saturday) and couldn't sleep.

Since I'd skipped my run earlier in the day I decided that I'd go at 2 in the morning, but to avoid running past nightclubs/bars etc I'd run along the canal side in Manchester... Never. Again.

Propositioned twice, by men.
Passed 3 copulating couples, 1 gay couple, 2 straight.

For all 5 encounters, I was thinking, what do I say? Do I say anything? Do I look like some odd running pervert?

Not as wholesome a sight as alpacas and panda cows, sorry
12/12/2011 at 10:17
Surely it's a bit nippy for that type of thing
12/12/2011 at 10:30
It wasn't recently. Was a few months back, maybe July or August
12/12/2011 at 10:32
makes more sense, as I'm sure you would be safe at the moment
12/12/2011 at 10:39
Maybe you could take one of the llamas along for protection - they look like they could be a bit handy for creating a diversion
12/12/2011 at 10:51
I think I'd get enough exercise running to Basingstoke to borrow the llama!
12/12/2011 at 11:56

I'm sure Choisty'd bring it half way for you!  

Can you ride them?  Perfect lift home for an out 'n' back...

12/12/2011 at 11:59
I'd bring you a llama, just worried as to what might happen to it along the canal
12/12/2011 at 12:11
Sleepy bear - Chris is right, they are belted Galloways, as he says usually Black and white (proper panda style), but also come in red and white and dun and white - amazingly you've managed all three on that picture. You couldn't have represented the breed better if you tried!  Lovely beaties.. I'm jealous now. I saw a weasel on my run this morning, but otherwise the only wildlife was that which hadn't made it home from the pub yet from last night..
12/12/2011 at 12:11
Fair one - bring  the buffalo too - no-one would dare mess with him!
12/12/2011 at 12:18

Choisty - the easiest way to tell the difference between llamas and alpacas is the size. A full grown llama can be approx 6ft (measured to the top of it's head), alpacas are smaller (about 4.5-5ft). Llamas also have slightly longer heads, but if you don't have a handy alpaca with you for comparison that might be less useful.

Glad they are being friendly, they are lovely animals but definitely ones to keep on the right side of, when they spit at you it's not just high-velocity saliva but fermenting green stomach contents too. (They are really skilled at it and an amazing aim too - put all the runners who misfire and hit other runners trainers in busy races to shame!). Very wise not to mess with the buffalo, especially if they have wee ones around..

21 to 40 of 139 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.