RDAs & Kcals

Did you know?

21 to 26 of 26 messages
15/09/2002 at 15:43
Just to chip in again, why is it that beer, one of my favorite bevvies, has so many calories? My entire daily allotment of Kcal doubles after a good night out - 8 pints = RDA! It's so unfair, it means I have to keep running to avoid the terrible beer belly. I do lve running really though..
15/09/2002 at 22:08
Mowgli, beer is not a particularly high-calorie drink. It's the volume of it that you drink that's the problem :-)

The "orthorexia nervosa" thing (I came across the concept a few years ago) is close to home because my practice partner has got it! He's aiming towards veganism, recently married to a recently-converted (but chronically mildly eating-disordered) vegan, and when lunch is provided he'll go without rather than eating anything that's not organic fruit and veg. Suits me - all the more for everyone else - but it's small bloody wonder that he doesn't have the energy to turn in a decent day's work. He seems to attract girls with funny eating habits, though, or else drives them to it. His last bidey-in was substantially overweight and intermittently bulimic.

Thanks for the Werthers stats, Beth. Now I'm going to have to work out how that translates into calories per sweet. Not that it will make any difference to the number I eat - the only thing that will do that is finding a new favourite.
16/09/2002 at 06:56
Muttley -
Sometimes people need the motivation that Weightwatchers and slimming clubs give.

It seems that some people have no idea about healthy eating. I certainly had no idea growing up and at 16 lost weight by, stupidly, eating one meal a day for a year. I had no idea that it was wrong and would lead to poor eating habits. Fast weight loss but yo-yo weight afterwards because I didn't know how to maintain and stretch marks.

The calorie thing - yes, less calories than you expend is for losing weight, but not too many less and with the right amount of food groups and protein/carbs/fats. Eating 1,000 calories made up of chocolate or chips is not going to help lose weight effectively, is it?

See - I'm not saying you're wrong - it's just that some people don't understand these things (really they don't) and need guidance.

I think nutrition should be taught in schools. My Mum, bless her, had no idea either and ended up on all sorts of diets when she was younger. How could she advise me then? We take the bad habits from our parents as well as the good.

Beff
The Evil Pixie    pirate
16/09/2002 at 09:22
Beff I agree .... I had very little nutritional learning at school and I'm over weight now. I have previously been to weight watchers and the main reason that I lost weight was "if I'm going to bloody pay to be weighed I will lose weight!". Needless to say I lost weight and then put on in excess of 3 stone whilst pregnant. My son is now 5 and the weight is still with me.
V-rap has listened to me over the last week or so ... I have an HND in Software Engineering and know the ins and outs of a PC but nowt about nutritian.
16/09/2002 at 10:04
I learnt all my nutritional knowledge from the internet. Seriously. I used to visit another forum where it is discussed quite a bit, and it was very helpful, but aside from that I visit all the health websites pretty regularly.

I also track my daily protein/carbs/fat/calories intake on www.fitday.com.
I'm not obssessive about it, but it does help to know what I'm putting inside me.

Beff
The Evil Pixie    pirate
16/09/2002 at 10:44
Cheers Beth! I need all the help I can get so I'm off to fitday now for a looksie!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 26 of 26 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.