Reading vs. Bath halfs

comments please!

21 to 30 of 30 messages
18/09/2002 at 12:23
HIldegaard

i did a search on wokingham half marathon - and there's stuff on there, but nothing for next year's race yet.

it was due to be feb 20th, i think this year

evil pixie - BK is right, the hills in reading are nothing to be worried about, more like a half mile gradual in cline at mile 3 and then a short sharp 400 yards at 9. other than that it's pretty flat
The Evil Pixie    pirate
18/09/2002 at 12:29
Cheers guys!
I used to go to school at Kendrick at the bottom if Kendrick hill ... never thought about walking up it then! Maybe I should potter over there one day!
18/09/2002 at 13:18
What's the support/crowd like at Wokingham? EP - if it's your first the large number of runners and support may help you out. plus, if you went to Kendrick you'll probably enjoy spiting at the Abbey (my old school) when you run past!
cep
18/09/2002 at 19:53
wokingham is great, i was very upset to see it absent last year, will definitely be going back in 2003. crowd support a bit sparce if i remember correctly, if you're looking for an event, i suggest grit your teeth, endure the problems of over-capacity of reading (which you probably won't notice too much if you're there for the atmosphere)and enjoy your run. but, if you've avoided hills so far, i suggest you do at least some hills in training or you definitely will notice them on the day!
cep
The Evil Pixie    pirate
18/09/2002 at 20:15
Kendrick rules! We didn't wear silly green uniforms! huh!
Though it is try about the crowd, reading will be big maybe I should just go with the flow after all!
18/09/2002 at 21:08
Cep, I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed Wokingham. Although it is considerably earlier than Reading, I really don't enjoy urban running too much, so if I find out more info about Wokingham 2003 (esp. if it is easily accessible by train) I might just give it a go. Do let me know if you come across any current info.
Cheers,
Hild
cep
19/09/2002 at 18:09
hildegard
saw your other post about wokingham, thanks for early warning of date, must put it in my diary. now sssssshhhh, don't tell anyone about it till i've had time to get my entry in!!!
cep
19/09/2002 at 19:34
Cep, the organisers told me that the entry forms weren't ready yet. I wonder when that will be? But with such an early date, this means that I'll have to start training at the beginning of December, and it will be very hard to do because of the Christmas holidays. Any tips for a newbie like me then?
20/09/2002 at 16:29
Hi Hildgard. I did Bath and Reading last year, idiot that I was. I am a back packer, so obviously my experiences are probably a lot different from an elite.

Both courses arent exactly scenic, but Bath is a lot flatter. At Reading there is a nasty hill at mile 3, (you turn the corner and the little voice inside you screams oh my god!!) and then 2 other hills as well. I suppose you could say that to counter that, there are the downhill bits, but they did me in.

I did find it a bit daunting that the elite passed me, but on the other hand it was a pleasure to see good running form, and its not that I was on my own.

The starts are something to consider too. At Reading it too a good 8 minute for me to get through the start lline, as opposed to a couple at Bath. It was also crowded at Reading so if you are going for a fast time, then Bath is definitely the better.

Incidently, get you appl for in early, Bath fills up by early Nov.

Reading is a bigger event, with a little more excitement, and before the race its a real bustley affair.

Finally Bath is a good place for partners, they can stay in town, have a coffee at the very many fine coffee houses, and also are able to see you twice, something I find very supportive.

So for me its Bath, and I have entered alreay this year. I did Wokingham a couple of years ago, and yes the support is a little sparce but if I remember right it is fairly scenic and flat too.

Whatever you decide , happy running!!!

Alison
cep
20/09/2002 at 17:41
what sort of time are you hoping for and what sort of training are you doing at the moment, mileage wise, type of runs etc? adn do you train alone?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 30 of 30 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.