Recipe needed for......

Tom Yum Soup

3 messages
12/10/2004 at 13:22
I often have this soup at Thai restaurants and love it. I don't eat red meat, so usually have the seafood one or mushroom.

I've tried a couple of recipes off the net but they never seem to taste quite right. Getting just the right mix of ingredients is crucial.

anyone got a tried and tested recipe?
12/10/2004 at 15:37
Mine is a barstardized version of two recepies. Every recepie in every book is different anyway. The main thing is to adjust quantaties to taste especially the chillies. Some recepies call for mushrooms and spring onions so go for it if you want. I prefer it with just prawns. Also you may want to add a bit of palm sugar if you want the edge taken off of the sourness.

So here goes

Raw tiger prawns with shell on-3 per person
1 lemon grass stalk-tender inner part only roughly chopped
1 ½ inches ginger peeled & roughly chopped
1 garlic clove chopped
2/3 fresh red chillies chopped
Zest 1 Lime
Lime juice
Fish sauce
Chicken stock
Chopped fresh corriander

Shell prawns leaving tail on and keeping shells.
Heat a small ammount of oil (groundnuts good)in a pan and fry prawn shells for about 3 mins.
Turn down heat slightly and add chicken stock (enought for 4 people.
Add ginger, garlic, lemon grass, chillies & lime zest and simmer with a lid on for @ 20 mins. Check after 20 mins to see if it is hot enough (if not either cook for longer or add more chilli.
Drain soup into another container through a seive and return liquid to pan (do not drain into sink as I have done on many occasions!)
Bring up to simmer and add lime juice and fish sauce to taste (I add i tbsp fish sauce and ½ lime)
Add prawns and cook gently.
Taste again and season if needed.
add corriander and serve immediately.

13/10/2004 at 16:30
thanks lista - i'll give this a try.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
3 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.