Recommend a Hotel?

7 messages
20/08/2002 at 10:52

I am struggling to find a hotel for the Great North Run - can anyone recommend one please? All the Newcastle City centre ones are full and I have been as far as Durham or the coast.

perhaps there is one North of the border. It is my partners first race so I dont want to have to drive there and back from manchester on the same day - she deserves a good nights kip and a bottle of champagne in the bath after finishing!

Thanks
20/08/2002 at 10:57
Hi Colinowl. I used www.superbreak.com and am in a Marriott at Gosforth Park. Still a drive to the start. I booked this ages ago, but they had access to a number of rooms. Give them a try. All the travellodges etc were full in February! How about Youth Hostel? (they are nice these days!)
20/08/2002 at 12:33
I've used superbreak.com and their service is pretty good. Also try the big hotel websites: best western, hilton, holidayinn, etc, then if that is no good, try to find the Newcastle tourist information site which should list the local smaller places.
Baz
20/08/2002 at 21:45
Hi Colinowl
I live in a little seaside town about 20 miles north of Newcastle, that has 2 or 3 B&B places that should have some vacances. I am doing the GNR & normally drive to a metro station (free car park)& use that to get to the start & back from the finish. If it's of interest, let me know & I'll try to get some details for you.

Baz
20/08/2002 at 22:23
Good luck with the search - I tried 40 or so guesthouses, B&B's and hotels in Newcastle, Sunderland, Durham, Middlesborough etc etc etc and there was no room anywhere. Carthorse previously mentioned that the campsites might be worth a go...
21/08/2002 at 06:40
Colinowl,

See Rob Spedding's response to an earlier posting here

I booked through Nirvana around 2 weeks ago, and altough it's a bit pricey, it wwas pretty straightforward.

Cheers,

MikeB
21/08/2002 at 09:07
You could try the seaside places north of Newcastle i.e. Morpeth, Alnwick, Bamburgh, Alnmouth

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.