Recommendations for where to run my first marathon?

21 to 28 of 28 messages
14/09/2012 at 14:44

I'm in the same boat as you Nikki. I'm hoping to work up to a marathon next year. I have a half planned in a couple of months and then a couple more halfs that I want to do early next year so really it's any time after that. I'm considering Loch Ness in September, just because we usually get up to Scotland once a year for a holiday anyway so that could be included. Trouble is, I'd rather do one a bit earlier than that. Decisions, decisions.

My overall goal is to do the Endurance Life South Devon CTS Marathon in February of 2014. I decided against that being my first marathon though as it looks as tough as anything and for some reason is actually 28.5 miles (technically an Ultra I reckon!)

There is a local one I was considering but as Ironwolf above has suggested, I didn't want to do a piddly little one where there were no other runners and no support. My experience of half maras tells me that it's best to have the atmosphere there to help you round.

18/09/2012 at 11:30

I agree with the earlier responses.  you should run your local marathon.  I would love to run the more glamourous city marathons like london, berlin, rome, paris, new york etc so far i have only done belfast and dublin.  I can think of a million reasons why the belfast marathon would not appeal to people from outside the city.  Its not very scenic, not very well supported and not particularly well organised.  But it is my home town meaning i dont have to fundraise, travel, book accomodation etc.  Best of all though is the support, my club vest is recognised round most of th route, i live around the halfway point so from about miles 12-15 i am constantly being cheered on by friends and family which is great for motivation.

There will be time for you (and me) to run bigger better marathons but i would stick with the local one as your first.

18/09/2012 at 12:34

I haven chosen the Beachy Head marathon this October to be my first marathon as it is local to me and whilst it is not as big as some of the city races there are just over 2000 entrants this year, so hopefully, I'll be able to keep some of the in view.

21/09/2012 at 06:11

You also lose a lot of colds training due. Not in the dark and cold training in the icy path.

21/09/2012 at 20:59

hi,

I'm new to this room, and I hear advice being given.

I running the Manchester MoRun on the 24th November, and that will be my first jog since I stopped running in my early twenties, I'm now 46 and only been training for amonth so far, but I think 10k is about the right first run out.

As regards Marathons, if I have the money I hope to do the Manchester Marathon, its claim is to be the flatest marathon in the country. Another reason it is my home city, even though I now life in Huddersfield. But more importantly is that if you are not recognised, just knowing the route is a big bonus, perhaps this will help me pace myself somewhat better.

I hope colds don't come your way, but if they do, I hope you go away quickly. I did myfirst run in the rain today. I was surprised that I enjoyed it, I found it refreshing.

Enjoy your weekend running.

21/09/2012 at 21:51

I'm doing my first marathon in April, I chose the Brighton Marathon as I lived there for many years and know the route. I think there's something nice about being able to rally the troops for support as well.

22/09/2012 at 09:56

I understand the advice re doing a local marathon, but it does depend where you live. My very local marathon (naming no names) looks a bit tinpot to be honest and I think it's the first year. I'd be more than happy to go and support a new event if I was a seasoned marathon runner but I don't think that an event that you know nothing about, with the potential for poor organisation and very small crowds, wouldn't be the best way to start out. If your local marathon is a big, old one, you'd be mad not to pick that but, if you're not going local, you may as well look as far afield as you like (hence Loch Ness for me!)

23/09/2012 at 09:47

Hi as mentioned on the events forum just entered my 1st marathon, Doing the Manchester Marathon because it is supposed to be the flatest and easiest although as someone mentioned possibly the wettest. Good luck

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 28 of 28 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.