Recovery

How may recovery days do you take?

11 messages
09/11/2012 at 12:30

Hi,

I'm wondering how many days people rest on a typical week of training?

Personally I'm running 6 miles on 4 mornings a week, 3 of the days being back to back and one day I'm running 8-10 miles at the weekend. I'm starting to feel tired and my muscles ache before I've even set off, I'm thinking I maybe need to take a week off to fully rest, which I really don't want to do, or incorporate more rest days.

I'd love to hear your advice and experiences.

Thanks

09/11/2012 at 12:51

Depending on where I am in my training, I run between four and six days a week.  So that means between 1 and 3 rest days.

How do you pace your runs?  even when running six times a week, I wouldn't do more than "three" quality sessions with the remaining sessions run at an easy recovery pace.

For your three consecutive days, if you run the first day at a high pace you probably want to run the second and maybe the third day at a lower intensity.  

Personally, taking a week off now and again is always worth it and doesn't have any major impact on your fitness. 

09/11/2012 at 13:31

I generally have two rest days each week, which entails running no more than 3 miles on each day - try and run those days very easily - took a week off in the summer when on holdiay - (won't run Christmas Day or Boxing day either)

09/11/2012 at 14:21

Thank you for the advice guys, it's interesting to see what other people do.

I tend to run 2 of my runs at 8:30 mpm I do 2 tempo runs varying between 7.30mpm - 9.30 mpm and run my 10 mile run at about 9 mpm.

Thta feels quite slow to me, would you suggest I take it slower?

I am going on holiday for 10 days over Xmas, so I'm thinking about leaving my trainers at home and maybe just doing some swimming and lots of relaxing.

09/11/2012 at 22:01
I like to take Monday and Friday off even when training for a run, I think your mpm times are good and if your slower mpm feel slow then that's good I personally wouldn't run any slower if it feels right it probberley is!

Ps I would take my trainers I know holidays are for relaxing but isn't a nice easy run in the fresh air relaxing?

Ant
15/09/2013 at 16:55
Same for me, the question of rest day! I've been running 5 days a week (35-40miles) but starting to get muscle pains. Wondering if this because I am pushing my track and tempo work too hard. It just catch up of not enough rest days.

I love running almost every day but wanna know if this ultimately will damage me and shorten my running life?
15/09/2013 at 18:47

I take every Thursday off, but there are times through the year where I do take a hole week off, maybe 3-5 weeks through the year.

16/09/2013 at 05:16

If you measure your resting heart rate each morning before you get out of bed till tell you if you're overtraining, by a sharp increase of about 10or more BPM.

16/09/2013 at 15:22

Usually run 6 times a week. At the moment am running every day, just not hard sessions on consecutive days.

16/09/2013 at 15:34

I tend to have a rest day after any Tempo run or LSR as thats when I need them usually I run 2 other times per week, one at recovery pace after my LSR, and one at comfortable pace. Typically:

Monday: Rest

Tuesday: Recovery Run

Wednesday: Tempo Run

Thursday: Rest

Friday: Comfortable Run

Saturday: Parkrun or Rest

Sunday: LSR

16/09/2013 at 16:20

I run 3 times a week, never on consecutive days. Typically I'll do 6 miles on Tuesday and Thursday and then I'll either do a parkrun or long run at the weekend. I do the odd race here and there too.

I'll take a week off if I'm going on holiday. I'll also miss runs if I'm feeling at all ill. If I ran a long hard race (10 miles or more) then I'll usually skip a run.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
11 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.