Recreational --->> Serious Runner

when??

1 to 20 of 39 messages
28/10/2002 at 14:43
Running in winter weather? ;-)
28/10/2002 at 14:45
In my case, it'll be when I look to start from somewhere other than the back!
28/10/2002 at 15:20
When you stop fitting running into your life and start fitting your life into your running.
28/10/2002 at 15:25

The day that there's life in my running, I'll be a happy man....
28/10/2002 at 15:44
When you achieve a place, I should imagine, it's easy to be a serious runner but much harder to be in with a competitive chance.
28/10/2002 at 15:55
The finishers from you forwards are serious runners, everyone behind is a recreational jogger.
28/10/2002 at 15:59
I think that you become a serious competitive runner when you have a goal to go faster, over a given distance, than some other person or group of people and pursue a training schedule to reach that goal.
28/10/2002 at 17:41
I've started doing things I really don't enjoy - like track sessions of multiple 1600/800/400/200 metres. I don't know if that classes me as serious but it doesn't feel recreational! I blame runners world for giving me the idea.
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
28/10/2002 at 18:17
As a vet with more than 40 years of running and racing - you're a serious runner when you are serious about your running! It doesn't matter a d..n what time anyone else is running - the point is, are you happy with your time, are you happy with your running, do you have a personal goal? We're all 'real' runners whether we run 4 minute miles or 10 minute miles - what counts is your attitude!
Psi
28/10/2002 at 21:17
I consider myself a serious runner (and have put so on my profile) because running for me has a serious (work-related) as well as recreational purpose.

'Serious' kind of goes along with 'competitive' in the profiles; I suppose I'm competitive too as I'm always striving to be the best I can be and hopefully win a few races here and there.

I don't think that profile category just covers race-addicted speed demons though. You could be slower and enter less races; it's your attitude that counts.
28/10/2002 at 22:00
Yeah the profiles don't really give you enough options do they. From memory when it asks why you run the options are something like fitness for another sport, stress, to be competitive etc. Well for me all of the above to some extent.

But by far and away the biggest reason is that I enjoy running, probably something to do with the release of endorphins. I don't run to achieve something else, I run because I enjoy running in itself and if it did nothing else for me I would still run.

I guess that goes for most of us?
29/10/2002 at 00:18
I run because I can.... and even though I am at the rear end of the competitive scale.. I have my goals.. and I try hard...
recreation is something they made you do at school ....
29/10/2002 at 00:40
Can you be a serious runner and still run in drag?
29/10/2002 at 06:37
i put myself down as recreational, though i do fit my life aound my running, and seem to find myself competing if only against myself....serious competitive seems to require fast times ....don't know how i made that connection, but i just couldn't bring myself to tick that box...
my photo is at 25 miles in a marathon, and i was totally caning it just to get the right number on the clock...hmmm...maybe i should have ticked it, but i think there should be a category further up the scale....mind blowing superperson....??? just so more of us might call ourselves serious...
29/10/2002 at 13:10
Perhaps when you get annoyed with Sue Barker talking about the fun runners coming in at 2.30 in the London Marathon? I think I became a 'serious' runner this year when I found myself referring to 'training' as opposed to 'running'. I'm still never going to win anything though except those races against myself (and the odd ex-boyfriend).
29/10/2002 at 13:14
Fluffa has shown the way, serious runners wear v. small shorts.
29/10/2002 at 22:22
Fluffa looks serious to me. Do tights count too?
29/10/2002 at 22:30
No it has to be shorts, well unless its January
29/10/2002 at 22:32
Even Linford Christie type tights? ... or am I back onto running in drag now ???
29/10/2002 at 22:33
still reccreational then, cellulite too bad for anything other than tights:)
1 to 20 of 39 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.