Replacing shoes, advice needed

4 messages
03/10/2012 at 23:02
I have been running in a pair of Nike Air Vomero 5 (men's size 7) since Feb and just completed my first half marathon and now they are starting to show wear and tear. I have had no problems with them and I like the cushioning and support. I need to replace them but the 5s been replaced with later models which are bound to be different. I have been to two running shops now and both tried to get me to try different brands (one even suggested Nike didn't make 'proper' running shoes!!!). I cannot get on with Asics shoes and the Air Zoom Vomero 5 mens shoe has fit well even though i am an average weight female. I am a fairly neutral runner with lowish arches and I plan to increase my mileage to train for the VLM next year (if I get a place). Any advice on what I should do? I have tried gait analysis in the past and ended up with a pair of very expensive shoes that caused me nothing but pain so I am very sceptical. Any good stores in London or home counties that you can recommend that carry all brands? should I just stick with what I know works or am I missing out?
04/10/2012 at 13:43

i'd forget brand loyalty and go to a running shoe shop and try on 3-4 pairs of different branded ones to see which are the most comfortable to run in. I've worn Nike, Brooks, Asics and Saucony, and to be honest I just pick the pair that are the most comforable on the day I go to the shop, which isn't always the direct replacement for your old shoe.

05/10/2012 at 14:35

Go to a decent shop and have a fitting with Gait analysis etc. Could save you money and stop injuries. It's not just about comfort.

05/10/2012 at 21:37
Thanks for the advice. Any stores you can recommend?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.