Resources for good training plans

Trying to find out what the components of a training plan are ...

5 messages
SMH
18/07/2012 at 14:43

Hi there - I’ve been running, going to the gym and participated in different sports for my whole life, but I have never approached running particularly methodically. Over the next 12 months I’d like to do a 10K, an almost half-marathon and a marathon (in that order).  I have started reading a few books and websites about running, how to train methodically, what to eat etc, but I don’t seem to quite get the hang of the components of successful running training. I was planning to do a weekly long run (easy pace, getting successively longer); one tempo run or intervals or hills; and one strength session (I’m quite injury-prone, so have been advised by my physio of some injury-preventing exercises); but what else should I be doing that is USEFUL training (and doesn’t just rack up junk miles)? Training plans often say – go for a 20 minute run or a 6-mile run or whatever, but I don’t understand the purpose of doing it or the way in which it should be performed. Does anyone know of any good resources in terms of composing a good training plan and/or does anyone have any tips? Would be very grateful for any advice!

SMH
18/07/2012 at 15:25
18/07/2012 at 17:53

Whats an almost half marathon?  12 miles?

18/07/2012 at 19:02
spen71 wrote (see)

Whats an almost half marathon?  12 miles?

I think it's a regular half marathon, but just as you reach the finish line you think, "I'm never going to make it, I'll have to go back".

Edited: 18/07/2012 at 19:02
19/07/2012 at 16:14

runkeeper have a reasonable selection of training methods

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.