Rest days

Feeling guilty

14 messages
20/09/2007 at 12:29

Am i on my own here?

I feel really tired today and have decided to have a rest day. I'm just getting back into running and have run for the past 4 days;( after a 2 year lay off)  but do I feel guilty and lazy about having a rest.

cougie    pirate
20/09/2007 at 12:33
Only feel guilty if you were really looking forward to spending many weeks or months recovering from an over-use injury.

Listen to your body, if it feels tired, take a days rest. I have a complete days rest at least once a week, and I cross train anyway to reduce the impact on my body. Seems to work for me.
20/09/2007 at 12:38

Thanks Cougie,

20/09/2007 at 13:25

i know what you mean about the feelings of guilt. however i often take a day or 2 off and always come back feeling fitter and posting faster times on my training runs.

this running/training lark is highly addictive and it can i think become a bit of a compulsion. to remedy this have a day off! eat loads of food you know you shouldnt! dare i say drink more than 3 units of alcohol! you'll return a healthier and more balanced runner.

(please ignore the above if you are training for a marathon or any event in the forthcoming olympics)

20/09/2007 at 13:28
Pub it is then,  thx
20/09/2007 at 13:39

At least it's a rest day - think of us injured ones who are having enforced rest! 

*pads off to get more ice for knee*

20/09/2007 at 13:49

Very true, As I sit here with a bag of jellys I don't feel so guilty. Hope your not injured for too long.

20/09/2007 at 13:56

I'm feeling a bit grumbly about resting too.

Overdid it last week - I was perfectly capable of running the total of 22 miles I ran last week, but shouldn't really have done so given the smaller mileages I'd been notching up in previous weeks, and as a result my knees were still niggling even yesterday from my long run on Sunday.

I'm also in super-busy time at work at the moment, so basically doing a lot of rushing around and working extra hours, as well as walking to/from work.  I know ultimately I shouldn't feel bad about a little less exercise when I haven't got so much free time (I'ver told a colleague of mine not to get hung up about this - should follow my own advice!), but in other ways I could kick myself for not knowing when to step back, particularly as I was so chuffed with my running last week.

Still, will go out running tonight - three days' rest is more than enough (when I'm not actually properly injured) and I need the running to clear my head and bring me back to sanity.

To all those injured peeps - best of luck with your recovery.

Stump    pirate
20/09/2007 at 14:00
Short people need more rest. It's official
20/09/2007 at 14:08
Wot Stump says
20/09/2007 at 14:13

I'm enjoying my rest day now, Thanks.

p.s I'm average height, and no not for a midget.(no offence intended)

20/09/2007 at 15:13
I'm glad I'm not the only one who over does things!!
20/09/2007 at 15:15
And so am I now...lol.... should really go and do some work.
24/09/2007 at 14:21

Damn! Over-doing it was possibly the cause of me spraining my right ankle out running on Thursday evening - it just sprained itself without so much as a twist or a trip.

Now I am forced to rest against my will.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
14 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.