Rip-off races vs great value diamonds

who do you love and who do you hate?

21 to 40 of 218 messages
seren nos    pirate
08/10/2013 at 17:51

Tuska tri....a sprint tri with a sea swim..........triathlon needs so much more costs as you need boat support in the sea and off on the bike course.motorcycles to watch for drafting and to aid those in trouble.   waterstations on the run etc...........as well as the usual marshalls....

but we got a technical t shirt and p20 sun tan lotion and drinks and chocolate and a reflector thing and a swim hat and lovely number tattoos.all for just over £30

08/10/2013 at 18:10

Goldbeetle - thats a good point. And you also reminded me that Im not getting nearly as much fibre in my diet as I should.

08/10/2013 at 19:40

Ran a 2 mile fell race last Saturday, £1 entry and a small bottle of whisky for all competitors, fantastic.

08/10/2013 at 21:01

rip off: Edinburgh Rock'n' Roll half marathon up to £39 entry, and hardly any prizes! 

good value: Self-Transcendence summer series £2 a race.

08/10/2013 at 21:27

rubbish value and badly organised race: Nike ripoff-to-the-beat half marathon

08/10/2013 at 21:31

Nayan - anything in London is going to be a ripoff!

08/10/2013 at 21:39
Kerry, will you really name and shame the rip off merchants in your magazine or just report back vaguely what people like and don't like and how much they want to pay?

Never run it myself, but the British 10k comes up as a badly organised, rip off race every single year in this forum but RW still seem happy to include ads for this race in the mag. Surely if you are truely reflecting the views of your readers you should report the bad as well as the good. In the events section of this site where people give ratings, this includes one for value for money. Surely it would be simple to report this data in your magazine?

Good value - tend to be ones organised by running clubs like Summer leagues. Also the London Marsthon is brilliant value as are the Finchley 20 & Cabbage Patch 10.

I would expect to pay up to 20 quid for a 10k, up to 30 quid for a HM and up to 50 quid for a marathon.
XX1
08/10/2013 at 22:30

Slowkoala -- I wasn't aware that any of the forumites actually read the magazine 

XX1
08/10/2013 at 23:12

Any LDWA event is excellent value for money and runners are usually welcome eg on the 100 each year.

08/10/2013 at 23:55

marathon prices I think around £40 imho

mind you... I signed up again for MK like the stafium finish but bloody expensive £40 entry then £5 if you want itab, if you want a technical t shirt £14 ohh £6 to get a decent parking space .... £10 for pretty magnets... If you paid for all of them that's a hell of a lot!!

this year there was meant to be a band competition.... With a band each mile. There were 2 both looked like they had handmade ex washing machine instruments. But the stadium finish and general nice crowds were great so nice atmosphere but expensive 

09/10/2013 at 07:38

Booktrunk - it's one reason why I wont be back to MK

09/10/2013 at 08:27
The addition of Ryanair style add ons seem to be appearing on a lot of races at the moment. It just makes you feel like the organisers are trying to con you with a reasonable entry fee but when it comes to pay its costing you quite a lot more.
09/10/2013 at 09:34

@ Roy Silver Whiskey at the finish, brilliant!

Two castles 10k makes my best list. Good venue for start and finish, coach service to get you back to the start. I can't remember the price exactly but it was reasonable.

I saw a comment on the Great run series not being all that great. I wonder are all the Great run events equal or are some better than others? I am doing my first next Sunday so will add my ten pence soon.   

09/10/2013 at 09:46

Steve - You're not doing the Great Eastern Run by any chance? I'll be doing that on Sunday and have run it in the past.  I've not done the GNR but from what I've heard the two races couldn't be more different.  GNR is unique in being very well established and attracting quite as many runners as it does. Just the scale of it (for a mere "half"!) puts me off a bit. I can't remember what I paid for GER now (20-odd quid?) but think it was about right for a HM, it's a sensible sized field and a nice fast course.  No idea what any of the other "Great" runs are like.

Re: Add-ons, I guess in principle I'm happy to opt out of things that I don't particularly want, but these options tend to be with the races that are run by events companies rather than clubs, since they have the infrastructure and economies of scale to offer such services, so they tend to be the races that cost more anyway, which is probably why it seems that the total amount they can fleece out of people soon adds up!

09/10/2013 at 10:55

There was a series of off-road 10k races in Essex this summer - each was £12 to enter, you got a t-shirt, a banana and a bottle of water at the end, plus chip timing.

You could enter the whole series in advance and get a discount.

Good value in my opinion.  This was organised by a commercial organisation, who were presumably making some money from it.

I'd pay up to £15 for a 10k, no more than £20 for a half marathon.  It's been a long time since I did a marathon - not sure that I'd pay to put myself through one again!

The London Marathon seems to be very cheap compared to other big city marathons - I'm surprised they don't charge more, people would still continue to fight for places.

09/10/2013 at 12:17

The races offer similar value to what you describe Wilkie.

Each event is about £12 to £15, but enter all three for

09/10/2013 at 12:19

lost my editing!

enter all three for

Cake    pirate
09/10/2013 at 12:31

Good value Marathon

• Giantshead For the goody bag and medal althrough it think it's checky goldbettle mentioned it. Bloody postie's
  • Leicester marathon medal not that great but the price is good for what you get.
  • I through New forest was alright as well.

A lot of average marathons out there in term's of cost but special in term's of the event Best exaple I can think from top of my head is Abingdon.

Bad Marathon

I'd actually have to say london yes the entry it self is cheap but that's with the ballot so substidiing your entry, plus the TV right's, sonsorship, corperate places and the charity golden bond places.

Not seen a brake down of the event for a few years but I would be very interested if someone ever does a brakedown of how much from the race ends up in the charites pocket's once you have factored in all the pubicity cost's and what all the interetested parties take. Not knocking the race I love it and will happerly do it again if I get through the ballot. But there is a lack of transparity to parts of the race that I think might actually be danaging to distance running in the long term for the uk.

09/10/2013 at 12:37

I thought it was good value 

What does Checky mean? Is it northern for Sexy?

Cake    pirate
09/10/2013 at 12:37

Good Half marathons

• Eyam
  • Buxton
  • Liversage
  • Worksop
  • Clowne

They are all cheap to enter and have good goody bag's and don't charge extra to sort out a Medal. Love medal's but they are expensive to organise

Bad half's in term's of price

• Sheffield
  • Liverpool
  • Nottingham
  • Run to the beat

This is based poorly on price mind All fo those races I've done and with the exception of run to the beat found well organised and frieldly but for big city half's now people expect a medal, t-shirt, ect and that push's the price up to a level that can get a little daft. Happerly run them anyway as can afford it and also because like everybody else I'm a medal hoe. Run to the beat is poorly organised in term's of the route ect.... and not worth the price tag. 

21 to 40 of 218 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.