Rip-off races vs great value diamonds

who do you love and who do you hate?

141 to 160 of 216 messages
02/11/2013 at 19:38

Just got email informing me of the Hillingdon half marathon. No road closure, no medal email says come changed ready to run so take that as no changing, and they want £22. RIP OFF

03/11/2013 at 11:47

Actually if you enter now it's £17. Look at what it is though - it's a commercial race with the HQ at the university, and it says a significant chunk of the entry fees are going to charity. I don't think you expect something like that to be cheap.

04/11/2013 at 12:00

Significant chunk going to charity? That should be optional. This running for charity lark is a rip off. Why don't they make every Sunday game of football a charity match? I'm sure they would all cough up.

04/11/2013 at 13:09

The 'Trunce' at Oxspring (twixt Barnsley & Penistone)

It's only £1.20 to enter!!!,it's a 9 race series, run on varying Mondays between March & Septembr

Mindst you, most fell-races are good value, as an example, I ran the 'Withins' over at Haworth a couple of weeks ago, that cost me £4 for 7 miles!!!!

http://www.woodentops.org.uk/index.php?topic=withins&subtopic=home

04/11/2013 at 13:12

@ Robin_hood

I agree. Charities have to raise money but I am suspicious with how much they are imposing themselves on runners.

04/11/2013 at 14:57
robin_hood wrote (see)

Significant chunk going to charity? That should be optional. This running for charity lark is a rip off. Why don't they make every Sunday game of football a charity match? I'm sure they would all cough up.

Can't disagree with that sentiment. I think road running has to an extent been de-valued by the constant emphasis that it's about raising money, to the point that a lot of people no longer regard it as a competitive sport. I've actually been accused to wasting a place at the London Marathon because I wasn't doing it for charity. I'm sure that the constant charity bombardment is also part of the reason why so many people are switching to trail races, ultras, triathlon etc.

04/11/2013 at 16:38

Well said

04/11/2013 at 17:02
Not everyone have got time to raise money,e g work,training,family commitments
04/11/2013 at 18:03

This is is a complete guess here but I would imagine that lots of events with closed/part closed roads use the "we are donating money to charity" line as part of their strategy of convincing who ever is in charge of letting them shut the roads to go ahead with it. as such the charitable donation is optional - if you don't wish to pay it then you take the option of not running. If I didn't want to pay a fee then I would just go for a run on my own somewhere. There is a 10k race that goes practically past my door that I don't do, it is a charity one but I don't want to pay to run the route I run a few mornings a week, and pay for the inconvenience of starting it from a few km from my door. 

I did did the Bradford half marathon last week, £20, t shirt, medal and bottle of water for all finishers on a closed road event, I felt this was quite good value. There was a five and ten km race on at the same time, this was the only downfall as whilst it was a novel set up it was hard to tell who you were actually racing and who was doing a shorter run. 

Cake    pirate
04/11/2013 at 18:12

Exile your a local lad to this go on Rich is right it's brilliant.

Richard A Thackeray wrote (see)

The 'Trunce' at Oxspring (twixt Barnsley & Penistone)

It's only £1.20 to enter!!!,it's a 9 race series, run on varying Mondays between March & Septembr

Mindst you, most fell-races are good value, as an example, I ran the 'Withins' over at Haworth a couple of weeks ago, that cost me £4 for 7 miles!!!!

http://www.woodentops.org.uk/index.php?topic=withins&subtopic=home

04/11/2013 at 18:28

Cheers Cake I will check it out. 

Haworth is lovely so I imagine the run will be much nicer than running round the city centre! 

04/11/2013 at 20:45

Beware of the fish.

ACTUALLY its £17 early bird affiliated.

I am un-affiliated so its £19 early bird and then its up to £22.

And what I expect for £22 is a road closure a medal and I like to decide if I pay into charity or not. Maybe I expect to much.

04/11/2013 at 21:08

Sadly as more & more races are commercially organised I suspect we're going to see prices going up. It's increasingly difficult for clubs to organise races, particularly those on the roads as the police and the councils seem to see them largely as a nuisance. They also seem to prefer dealing with a commercial company rather than a bunch of amateurs, regardless of the fact that in many instances the amateurs have been doing it successfully for years. They are just so risk-averse that having an organiser who's a commercial company seems to make them think it'll be safer for them. The point The Exile made about including a charity element into race to make it easier to get permission is a good one, and it also helps if you can get a local councillor looking for a legacy event on-board. That can save you thousands in road closure fees (currently £800 per application per road in my area as far as I can tell).

04/11/2013 at 21:21

Sorry but we all as has been mentioned previously, the choice of taking part or not.) No one to my knowledge is forced to take part and to be honest, in your place mostof the  the high profile races have 100's if not 1000's willing to take part and then it comes to voting with your feet! (But you'll find it lonely out there!)

05/11/2013 at 19:35
Peter Collins wrote (see)

Someone mentioned Race for Life as crap value, but CRUK says 20 per cent of its income now comes from these events. If people want to do it, why not leave them be?

http://www.tescomagazine.com/health/fitness/race-for-life-where-the-money-goes.html

The problem with Race for Life Events is not so much how much it costs to enter and run the 5k, but the fact, the Organisers will give out absolutely NO info on the course, in fact, they seem to go out of their way to keep the whole thing secret, I had a hell of a job finding out anything to do with the Brentwood RFL two years back and I never did find out any info, the same went for Basildon three years ago.

RFL courses are not actually accurate.  You do not get a time.

In fact, RFL consists of paying for your entry, running an inaccurate 5k course without even a time to boot.  

This is the reason, I would never do another one, but I WOULD, enter other events that ARE accurately measured, that DO give out times and DO give out info of their courses and then I give my sponsorship money to whatever charity I wish.  

If a runner (fun runner, club runner, unattached etc) takes the time and trouble to get sponsors for these RFL events, trains for them, pays for their entry, gets their support system going and makes one hell of an effort, asking for a time at the end is hardly being unreasonable.

If I am going to train hard and run in events, I would damn well like a time as my "reward" - I can run timeless and for fun anytime.  I did enquire to RFL as to the lack of info re their courses and I also asked why no times.... do you know what their answer was, if was this:

For some people to know the course route puts them at an advantage.

By giving no times out, it cuts our costs down.

05/11/2013 at 21:38

The thing about RFL (and I've marshalled several) is that of the thousands of ladies who turn out less than 100 actually run the whole way, and maybe another 100 will run a little bit, and a time of less than 30 minutes will get you comfortabely in the top 50. I've seen a 13 year old girl finish first by quite a margin, and one year I watched a lady walking briskly round the course carrying 4 carrier bags of shopping as she was on her way home from her weekly shop at Tescos. She finished way ahead of the vast majority of the field. The fact is that Race For Life simply isn't a race, it's a 5k sponsored walk. It does a great job in raising money, although apparently a large percentage of the 'competitors' never actually send in any sponsorship money. What grates for me a little however is the fact that the people are praised like they've achieved something spectacular when most have simply ambled round 3 miles. I know that's more than many of them will usually do, but even so, it isn't really that great an achievement. When I was a kid sponsored walks were 15 or 20 miles!

05/11/2013 at 22:18
How many of those RFL entrants realise that none of their entry fee goes to the charity?
XX1
06/11/2013 at 14:37

About the same number that run the whole way I expect.

XX1
06/11/2013 at 15:30

Diamonds:

Tadley XC 5.3 £11, memento and soup and friendly.

Tadley 10K £10, t-shirt and friendly.

Fleet Half £19, well organised, friendly, local parking, good PB course.

Braishfield Beer Race 5M, can't remember the price but cheap, homemade cake at the end and a pint of Ringwood or soft drink to all, very friendly, good mix of club and non-club runners.

Avebury 8: Great muddy fun, everyone gets covered and has a smile on their face.

Rip-offs: Great South Run (as a race but it is a fairly fun event and gets the people of Pompey out on the streets).

06/11/2013 at 17:06
robin_hood wrote (see)

One day the charidee bus will leave running alone - the problem is...where does it go to?

141 to 160 of 216 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.