Rip-off races vs great value diamonds

who do you love and who do you hate?

1 to 20 of 218 messages
08/10/2013 at 15:31

Afternoon.

A few weeks back on a thread Annie RW started about goody bags, Millsy1977 made this comment: 

I don't really see the point if some of your race fee goes on the goody bag.
Would runners world ever do a feature on races that are poorly organised and a rip off?

Well...yes. In that thread some of you gave examples of good and bad races, and i'm sure there are bazillions of threads on here where people have had rants/given glowing eulogies about this. But I want to collate them all in one place.

If you can't be arsed that's totally fair enough, but if you've got an opinion and want to tell us which races rip you off and which go above and beyond when it comes to bang for buck, off you go. But just remember to give examples of why...

also, let me know what you think a RESAONABLE price range is for 5k, 10k, half and mara.

I'm planning on using the results to put something together for editorial both in mag on on the site.

Cheers guys. Hope everyone's having a good day.

08/10/2013 at 15:39

I quite like what Telford do for their 10k. Its £6 for affiliated runners but if you dont want a medal then you just pay them £5. Effectively giving people the option of whether they want to pay for the extras.

cougie    pirate
08/10/2013 at 15:39
(puts a tenner on the British 10k being a popular mention on this thread)
08/10/2013 at 15:43

The London Marathon is pretty good value, especially if you win a prize.

08/10/2013 at 16:10
Salisbury 54321 50k or Marathon was about 21 pounds this year, plenty of sweets an cake en route, showers at the end and some awesome scenery.
That's my best value one.

Run to the Beat and the British 10k seem to always getting bad press for A, the cost and B, the organisation.

As Phil says London Marathon is also great value for 32 quid!
08/10/2013 at 16:36

Are we just talking about UK races or also European ones?

UK Good:

• Enigma Running
  • Giantshead (Great goody bag and medal)
  • Kent Roadrunner (Great goody bag and medal)
  • VLM - Good value for money for an iconic race
  • Thames Meander. Free meal at the end and a good medal

UK Bad:

• London 10k - shite race, crap organisation
  • New Forest: Crap goody bag and overpriced for a half mara
  • Bath Half Mara: 42 quid for a half mara? No thank you
  • Reading half mara

Europe Good:

• In Flander Field Marathon: 19EUR for closed roads, great organisation and a super goody bag (2 tech tees, water, medal, shower gel, no leaflet crap)

Europe Bad:

• Cologne: 60EUR for a half and no tshirt provided. Goody bag is álright but nothing special
  • Brussels Marathon: 60EUR for a full. Tshirt provided but organisation could be improved.

08/10/2013 at 16:50

Anything that includes the words Great in it. Overpriced and over subscribed is bad,

Anything that includes the words Barking Park 5K - excellant value excellant course and excellant former race organiser.

08/10/2013 at 16:51

How Windsor can charge £30 for its half is an absolute disgrace there are no road closures and water in plastic cups out of buckets. Also how Brighton charge £70 is also baffling when London is less than half the price and the website plus support network is great. My biggest bugbear though is the Kingston breakfast run £29 and no medal, even if the goody bag is ok.

Wokingham half is great value for money I find, good course great organisation and a classy medal.

I think for a 5 and 10k between £6 and £12

Half marathon- depending on road closures, how water is distributed and      medal/t-shirt between £15-£22

Marathon- Using VLM as the benchmark between £22-£32

cougie    pirate
08/10/2013 at 16:54
Don't forget the VLM is heavily subsidised though. All that sponsorship and charity funding. I'm sure the real cost would be higher without it.
08/10/2013 at 16:55

dont forget any parkrun is blinding value for money for a 5k can you really beat it for scenery (depending where you nearest is) also convience because if your injured or dont feel up for it there is always next week

08/10/2013 at 16:56

Ive heard Mo Farrah had great things to say about the sort of stuff he got in his goody bag for the London Marathon, and he didnt even finish the thing.

08/10/2013 at 16:57

I avoid any race which has a ballot.  It's bound to be over-crowded.

An example of a good race is the Paddock Wood Half Marathon.

£17 to enter, plenty of on-site parking, chip timed, baggage storage, medal and goody bag (not that either of those float my boat).  And cake available at the finish.

The point that makes it REALLY good is the number of portaloos they provide.  Loads.  Loads and loads.  

So for those clubs/organisers who whine that portaloos are too expensive - ask Paddock Wood how they do it!

08/10/2013 at 17:00

Sturmy half and Wimborne 10 are good value local club races

Giants Head Marathon is great value great medal pint glass 

Centurion and Enigma races are value becuase the RDs care about the runners and balancing value and  qualty vs. entry fee

08/10/2013 at 17:09

They should just start the races near some wooded areas, that way men can solve a lot of the portaloo issues themselves.

08/10/2013 at 17:15

So can ladies, Mr A.

08/10/2013 at 17:21

Soft leaves must be on hand 

08/10/2013 at 17:22

But at the finish men can just have a shake and they are good to go ....something women cant do. Didnt think of that one did you

08/10/2013 at 17:42

Not if your havin a dump you cant. You cannot always guarantee a clean break

seren nos    pirate
08/10/2013 at 17:47

women can wiggle just as men can shake Mr A......

seren nos    pirate
08/10/2013 at 17:49

crap value .Race for life where not one penny of the entry fee goes to teh charity.just to the organisers.......

I thought the lakeland 50 was great value for money with amazing marshals and food and support......

1 to 20 of 218 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.