Road running

101 to 113 of 113 messages
04/04/2013 at 11:17

seren, I've used Richmond Park regularly for about 30 years and never, on any occasion whatsoever (races where roads are closed excepted), have I encountered a runner running in the road, on the square of main roads around the park.

Imagine coming along a packed road on your bike on a bank holiday Monday and encountering a 45-year-old man running in the road, all by himself against the traffic, and how absurd this looks. It caused me annoyance. "What the hell's he doing in the road? Has he no brain?", I thought to myself. "Just wave him out of the way and proceed," I thought to myself. So I did.

I wasn't being a "right twat". I was simply doing what the occasion required. You would have had to be there to understand the situation.

It wasn't a big deal.

I do find it interesting that so many runners on this thread are resistant to the idea they shouldn't be running in the road.

Edited: 04/04/2013 at 11:18
04/04/2013 at 11:25

CM - nobody disagrees that the guy should probably have used the path because there was a perfectly good path he could have used.  It's the "against the law" nonsense that you're spouting.

My choices are to either run on the road, run on the treadmill in my shed, or drive somewhere to run on a path.  I live in the country, so I run on the road.  The vast majority of drivers/cyclists are courteous and are happy to give a runner in my neck of the woods (Aberdeenshire) enough room.  If I see or hear a car approaching, I make myself aware of what's coming the other way (there usually isn't anything) so that I know whether or not the car will have enough room to pass me.  If the car won't have enough room to pass me, I get off the road in plenty of time.  If there's plenty of room to pass me, I stay on the road.  You do get the odd nutcase who gives you about 1 inch of room and I get off the road to make sure I'm safe.  If a car was to hit me on the road, it would be the car driver that was in the wrong (in the eyes of the law), regardless of whether I chose to get out of his way or not.  I definitely should get out of the way of the car because I will always come off worse, but I wouldn't be guilty of a criminal offence by not getting out of the way.

As someone said very early on in this thread - roads were there before cars.  Everyone has the right to use them.

04/04/2013 at 11:26
Colin McLaughlin wrote (see)

Yet if this was a cycling forum you'd all be saying CM was spot on with his assessment of the runner.

There was a similar question that came up on a cycling forum I use. Most of the comments were along the lines of "Better to be tolerant" and "Ultimately we are all trying to share a limited amount of space. Courtesy from all parties is always appreciated, and usually returned."

04/04/2013 at 11:33

The draftsman of Rule 1 of the Highway Code has adopted the construction of saying what you should do. The necessary implication is, you shouldn't do the opposite of what it says you should do. It doesn't need to be spelt out further.
Precisely , an implication.
And given rules to become legal need the words must/must not clearly passed you by no matter how many times it is repeated.

And despite looking over it many times, I still can't see where it says "it is expressly forbidden to run in the road" in rule 1

I did find rule 64 interesting though: You MUST NOT cycle on a pavement.

Police could have a field day...

04/04/2013 at 12:57
Colin McLaughlin wrote (see)

At a glance, we also seem to have section 137 of the Highways Act 1980: "(1) If a person, without lawful authority or excuse, in any way wilfully obstructs the free passage along a highway he is guilty of an offence."

I haven't researched the section or whether the wording's been amended, but this wording seems on its face to outlaw people using the highway to run on where their behaviour inhibits cars, motor bikes and bicycles moving at speed.

Hallelujah, Allah Akbar, hooray; learning has taken place!!! Colin is quoting a primary source of law!!!

04/04/2013 at 13:05
Calum Crighton wrote (see)

I'm still wondering what your legal qualifications are?

I am not sure that he has got beyond 'Wikipedia' level?

He is ignoring me because I am, "just a law student" (his words not mine!) interesting that he has the (insert word here) to challenge someone with your knowledge, qualifications and experience!

Like I said, his quotes are great value!

22/05/2013 at 08:06

Looks like someone has applied 'Colin's principle' to cyclists

http://road.cc/content/news/84284-nofolk-bloodycyclists-twitter-story-hits-local-national-headlines-cyclists

She felt that cyclists should get out of her way because she was driving a car....

23/05/2013 at 14:13

Ultimately, no matter how closely we follow the rules as a runner and/or cyclist, there will always be other road users that think we're in the wrong (and those who feel entitled enough to put everyone in danger for the sake of saving a few seconds on their journey time). Sigh.

23/05/2013 at 17:36
This thread has definitely put me off running on the road. It's not so much getting run down as the risk of having Colin cycling after you for the next 20 minutes.
23/05/2013 at 18:09

I hope, for Colin's sake, that he's just an internet wind-up merchant.

A bit of a dull subject for a troll to select, but it seems to be working.

(you're surely not actually being serious are you Colin?)

23/05/2013 at 19:15
Whether this is Colin by design or by default, difficult to say. It's plausible either way. We can establish he is an arsehole, but not the precise kind of arsehole.
24/05/2013 at 10:03

I could cope with him chasing me, as long as he does not try his legal arguments on me!

If he is a wind up then he is truly first class!

But the driver is now saying that it was the cyclists fault and she only hit him with her wing mirror

24/05/2013 at 11:11
JT141 wrote (see)
Whether this is Colin by design or by default, difficult to say. It's plausible either way. We can establish he is an arsehole, but not the precise kind of arsehole.

A whole thread summed up in 1 sentence.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
101 to 113 of 113 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.