Run-in with the Police

I fought the law and the, law won.

1 to 20 of 241 messages
05/06/2009 at 19:39

Bloody hell.

I just had a run-in with the Police. On my phone on a roundabout.

Coincidentally, two fat people in a car beeped at me earlier to get off my phone on a roundabout. How's that for irony.

£75 to go on an 'awareness course'  or £60 and 3 points on my license.

Anyone else been on this course? What's it like? Is it undulating? Any chance of a PB?

I'm so annoyed. I know I shouldn't have been on my phone and I'll probably learn my lesson from it, but bloody hell!

CL
05/06/2009 at 19:44
Think I would have posted this on a motoring website, if you want sympathy. £75 sounds quite cheap to be honest - you get £60 for a minor parking infringement.
05/06/2009 at 19:45
The best thing would be to go to court and plead not guilty, you'll be the centre of attention for a good twenty minutes.
05/06/2009 at 19:49

D2D how do you plead?

GUILTY.

But in my defence, i have not ran for 5 weeks.

Yeah. That'd go down well.

I already used my stress fracture as an excuse as to why I was driving barefoot

05/06/2009 at 20:05
No sympathy. I was in a bad accident because an inconsiderate driver was on her phone.

There's a reason why it's illegal. It's bloody dangerous!

I was wondering where the daily "Me me me" thread from D2D was today!
05/06/2009 at 20:06
Oh dammit, I'd been resisting posting on a D2D thread for weeks, and now I've gone and done it.

05/06/2009 at 20:10

We had a young man killed locally by a driver writing a text message

£75 is not enough how about 6 month ban that would be more of a punishment

dont forget to report it to your insurer otherwise you are committing another offence

05/06/2009 at 20:12

you deserve all you get

thats why i paid several hundred pounds for a proper car kit to be fitted.

fine should be ten times that for trying to drive with a phone in your hand

its a shame tossers are posting on here

Basil Brush Mk II    pirate
05/06/2009 at 20:13

£60/75 is cheap at a thousand times the price. What price a life? Or a permenant paralysis?

OTOH you're guaranteed a PB on this course, as you've (hopefully) never done it before

05/06/2009 at 20:20

WOW, the lesson has been clearly learnt by the OP here, a caution from the police, a fine attendance to a course. And they still feel the need to come on here and (only re-affirm other forumites pre exisiting beliefs) show their own stupidity and post on the forum about it.

As some have said, you got off lightly compared to what could of happened.

05/06/2009 at 20:24

OK, I promise I'm not just doing this to back up D2D, but I think its crazy for the Police to issue fines for using your phone when you drive. It's no more of a distraction than changing the CD, taking a drink or singing along wildly to your favourite song.

D2D, I'd honestly appeal it and see if they drop the charges. The same thing happened to me months ago, although I was on a deserted motorway (destered apart from the police car obviously!) and not using my phone (it's a long story!) and I appealled......I've never heard another thing from the facists.

05/06/2009 at 20:29

With an attitude like that, I hope you're not driving round Reading, DT.

No sympathy here. If I were writing the law, I'd have a mandatory ban for three or six months for driving while using a phone. To be doubled on appeal, because anyone who thinks it's okay to phone while at the wheel should not be on the road at all.

Basil Brush Mk II    pirate
05/06/2009 at 20:34

Seriously, are you for real, DT?

Unless you're driving an automatic, you need both hands to drive. Particularly when you're driving around a roundabout. 

Using your phone - with a hands-free-kit - no problem, and I take your point about it being no more distracting than any of the other things you mention, but trying to hold your phone, talk, steer and change gear at the same time?! It's a recipe for losing control.

Like Mutters says, I hope you're not driving around my way either.

Frankly if I'd been done for using my hand-held phone whilst driving (not that I ever would) I would be ashamed. The fact that D2D comes on here and has the gall to complain about it, I feel, speaks volumes.

05/06/2009 at 20:40

Facists?!

I assume when you were stopped by the police DT you would have 'failed the attitude test'.

It doesnt matter one bit whether you are drinking, changing a CD, applying make up in your rear view mirror, eating or whatever. If your not in proper control of your vehicle you commit an offence.

05/06/2009 at 20:40
Basil Brush Mk II wrote (see)

Frankly if I'd been done for using my hand-held phone whilst driving (not that I ever would) I would be ashamed. The fact that D2D comes on here and has the gall to complain about it, I feel, speaks volumes.

And the fact that she even tries to joke about it.......

Devoted2Distance wrote (see)

Anyone else been on this course? What's it like? Is it undulating? Any chance of a PB?

D2D -  grow up.

05/06/2009 at 20:41

I thought it was a £1000 fine if you were caught using your phone? I'm horrified to discover it's only £75.

Having been on the receiving end of someone losing control of their car when distracted I have no sympathy. My phone's kept in my bag, if I need to ring someone for directions I'd pull over, and if it rang then they'll ring back.  Some things are more important than chatting.

05/06/2009 at 20:44

Yeah go on appeal and when you lose at court (as this is an "absolute offence" ie no excuse or defence) they will give you the three points, standard £60 fine and then add the courts costs onto your bill as well.

In fact please don't appeal it, this thread will go on for at least six months till you get your 15 mins at court

05/06/2009 at 21:07

Having done the DAT course I have no sympathy for anyone who drives in an inconsiderate or plain dangerous manner.

Perhaps D2D should go for the £75 and course option as it might just make her aware of how easy it is for someone to get killed in a car in perfect conditions, let alone conditions where you need to be fully in control and aware of what you are doing.

05/06/2009 at 21:24

D2D: "Coincidentally, two fat people in a car beeped at me earlier to get off my phone on a roundabout. How's that for irony"

Why is the weight of the people in the car relevant?  Or indeed 'irony'? 

05/06/2009 at 21:30
Being beeped for talking on your phone, then crashing into a giant phone blocking the road, now that would be irony. I thought you were a writer D2D - shouldn't you know the meaning of words?

We'll all probably be accused of being bitches by her now....
1 to 20 of 241 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.