Running + electric cigarette

Change from standard to electric cigarettes

21 to 30 of 30 messages
cougie    pirate
17/12/2013 at 15:14
Well its all aerobic isnt it ? Its not like you speed up towards the end of the race - so after 3 mins you'd be going as fast as at the finish.
17/12/2013 at 15:17

My quickest tends to be about 60% of the way through.  I know I am past halfway so naturally I tend to speed up

19/12/2013 at 11:51

I quit smoking 18 months ago, and went cold turkey. I started exercising more around the same time though and there was such a noticeable difference in breathing and puff that I wanted to keep it up and it motivated me to keep going. 

In July my "20-30 a day for the last 25 years" boyfriend switched from real cigs to a vapour/e-cig and he's kept at it and not had any lapses at all. He's now down to the equivalent of about 4 cigs a week in nicotine. 

Good luck with it - quitting isn't easy, it is an addiction after all, and you have to WANT to do it; I tried loads of times to give up but never lasted more than a few weeks as oddly, I missed it but also quite enjoyed it. This time my determination and willpower won though! 

19/12/2013 at 12:52

Firstly - sorry I can't help with the question of whether the electronic ciggies will help, but you haven't mentioned if this is the first time this has happened, or how long you have been running.

If you regularly do XC and normally can breathe "properly" there may be something else going on other than the detrimental effects of smoking.  If you have only just started running, and/or usually run on flat pavements, then it could just be that XC is much tougher than you expect.

If it's the former, there could be a lot of explanations - you could be coming down with a cold, could be anaemic or something.

Regardless, anything which may ultimately lead you to kicking the fags is a good thing, so I'd say go for it.

19/02/2014 at 09:50

Update here a few months down the line, I went to electric cig for a while and now haven't used that for about 3 weeks.  Feeling much better and running seems to be a lot easier, have a XC race on March 2nd so will see how that plays out.

19/02/2014 at 10:58

Good that you have stopped altogether. keep it that way - even if you get cravings they only last a few minutes so try to ignore them.  Good luck on your XC

19/02/2014 at 11:56

Is it just me or does anyone else think Philomena is a complete twat?

Edited: 19/02/2014 at 11:57
19/02/2014 at 13:35

You make me laugh with 50% of your posts Stuey. When you make me laugh with all of them you will be a wit.

19/02/2014 at 13:56

Well done ABrown. Kicking the fags is never easy, I know from experience.

Ah yes, Philomena (or whatever he's calling himself this week) ... a true shining wit, as William Spooner might have said.

19/02/2014 at 14:00
stuart180 wrote (see)

Is it just me or does anyone else think Philomena is a complete twat?

That's the voice of inexperience speaking there, Stuart. If you think Philomena is a twat you really haven't been here long enough...

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 30 of 30 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.