Running and lifestyle

1 to 20 of 99 messages
20/08/2002 at 15:15
I don't drink as much Guinness as I used to.....because I can't drink as much Guinness as I used to.

I never used to be a morning person. Never felt awake until after lunch during a working day. Now I'm hyper after getting up at 6 and running 7 miles a couple of times a week.
20/08/2002 at 15:35
Running has changed lots of aspects of my lifestyle - I've lost weight, changed my eating habits (well, most of the time), dramatically cut down my alcohol consumption, started reading everything about running I can lay me hands on, joined in discussions on forums like this and scoured the internet for races to go to.

If someone had told me In December that this is what 2002 would be like I would have laughed and downed another large Glenmoragie!
20/08/2002 at 15:40
Tim -- I have to agree with Redhead. I'm not quite sure what was the deciding factor. I htink it must have been reaching the all time high of 13st 10 on the scales that made me do it, but if you'd told me 6 weeks ago I was capapble of running for half an hour without stopping I would have laughed until I cried.

I'm losing weight. Eating better (have always drunk loads of water anyway) and geneally incorporating running into everything I do, be it reading, writing or exercise.
20/08/2002 at 15:51
Tim

I have a theory which goes along the general lines that human beings are self destructive - i.e. I used to be a smoker and I found that I used to smoke a lot to deal with stress and then get stressed because I smoked too much, so I would have a fag whilst I worried about it! Same with weight control (pass me another Mars bar) and alcohol (hic!).

Once you cross the line to fitness - habits stay exactly as they are i.e. we continue to be obsessive but (hopefully) in a less destructive way (but see my other thread about knee's).

Therefore, in a roundabout way running is a life changing thing but it seems that we all need a little obsession.
20/08/2002 at 16:19
I share your views Martin.
20/08/2002 at 16:27
I'm with Martin and Hilly on this. I have a totally addictive personality. However struggling to give up the fags completely, bad I know. I will get there.
20/08/2002 at 20:47
Caz ..keep it up, I stopped 4 months 6 days ago, but having an addictive personality, running & keep fit now takes up most of free time, alcohol getting only second place ... gladly :-) it was a close thing ...
21/08/2002 at 06:54
Caz

Giving up cigarettes is really hard but believe me the difference it makes to your health is scary.
I gave up cigarettes in 1988 but stuidly started again in 1996 (I gave up again at the beginning of this year) between 1996 and 1999 my 10k time detriorated by about 20% (alright I wasn't training as much either).
The other differences are more subtle - better sleeping, healthier appettite (!) and nicer smelling.
In my experience the best way to give up is to go cold Turkey but during that time you should also try and avoid going to the pub etc - i.e. become billy no mates for a month.

Good luck - you know it makes sense.
21/08/2002 at 08:53
Tim/Daisy/Martin, thanks all of you for your support. I think running will help me a lot in my fight against the ciggies, I want to do better at running for a start (who doesn’t). I gave up smoking back in 1994 but stupidly (probably drunk at the time) started again in 1998. Last time I used the patches but I was so allergic to them I only wore them for a couple of weeks, but it was long enough. This time (and I will do it) I shall use a nicotine inhalator.

Cheers.
21/08/2002 at 08:55
Martin agree with you about cold turkey, I packed in 8 years ago. To all of you trying to pack up smoking, do it. Take it 1 day at a time, think to yourself, I didn't have a cigarette yesterday, so I don't need one today, and the same after a week, yes it takes willpower, but the difference to your life as Martin says is amazing. I wasn't a runner when I smoked, and I wouldn't have taken up running 4 years ago if I still smoked because just going up a flight of stairs, or walking up a slight incline would have puffed me out, that I can actually run up them now never ceases to amaze me.
21/08/2002 at 09:14
Martin and WW I totally agree.

I'm now in my 12th ciggie free year. Having smoked for 18 years, I went form 40 a day to 0 all at once. The nicotine addiction wears off after a few days; the problems are mostly in your mind and that's the hardest part to deal with. I found I had loads of spare time that I would have filled with a ciggie before. Then there are the danger times like social events/drinking/stress at work etc etc.

Caz, just keep at it. It's well worth the effort.
21/08/2002 at 09:20
Running's definitely changed my lifestyle. It's given me a greater sense of purpose and made me care more about what I put into my body. I've never smoked but I agree with Martin that most of us here seem to need some kind of addiction, and however it's happened, we've all found running.

I now find myself thinking on a Saturday night that I don't want to drink too much because it'll affect my performance on my Sunday run. Sad I know!

It's just great to have these forums to share my obsession with other like-minded obsessives, rather than boring my friends and family to tears. Learned that one the hard way though!!
21/08/2002 at 09:25
Thanks everyone again for their ciggie support group, it's urging me on even more. P.S. I only had 6 yesterday and none so far today.

Minkin, I know what you mean, some of my friends take an interest, the others are trying desparately not to yawn and pass out through bordem. (It does seem to be all I talk about.)
21/08/2002 at 11:03
Hi Caz
I've never smoked to any degree but consider running just as addictive. Running has taken over my life over the past two years (before that I ran but kept it in perspective as I had a family then). It has kept me focused and 'sane' through a difficult period. Some people tell me that its a way of punishing myself and is every bit as self distructive as any other addiction, 'wait till the arthritis sets in' they warn. well I'll deal with that when it happens. As for now, yes, it's taken over my life to a certain degree. It gives me goals to aim for, I have a healthier diet, I'm fitter than most people I know and most of all I enjoy it.
Good luck with giving up the cigs. Just like running if you're determined enough then you'll do it!
21/08/2002 at 11:08
On the subject of being a running bore...

....have you noticed that it only takes someone to show even the vaguest interest in running and you will start reeling off, mile splits, max HR's, torrid tales of runners nipple etc?

......or is it just me?

.....I'll get me coat
21/08/2002 at 11:11
'Wait til the arthritis sets in..' haven't we all heard similar so-called 'warnings' from non-runners? This really bugs me - I don't think it IS a warning, it's people who can't/won't run, won't take the chance that they'll fail trying to make themselves feel better by criticising running... As all us readers of RW know, running is good for your bones, good for your immune system, good for your eyesight, hearing, memory, well just about everything! Pay no attention, keep on running, safe in the knowledge you're fitter and healthier than all those scaremongers!!
21/08/2002 at 11:34
Martin, yep know what you mean and it's greeted with "Oh I hate running, it's so boring" so that shuts me up.

Lamb, it's also supposed to do wonders for your sex drive, so how boring are they?
21/08/2002 at 12:00
Whenever I am ill or turn up to work with some sort of injury it only takes a couple of minutes before someone, usually my boss, says "It's all that running, bad for your health." or "See, if you didn't do sport then you wouldn't be injured eh!" I just smile and carry on working, safe in the knowledge that I would rather have the 'occasional'(!) injury then sit around doing nothing.
21/08/2002 at 12:02
Happens all the time, Lamb - I love reeling off the evidence that being a sofa spud is FAR more dangerous to your joints and your healthy survival than running! My new favourite mantra is "Exercise doesn't cause arthritis - being overweight causes arthritis" (I've used it on two people this morning already).

When I finally manage to get struck off the medical register, it won't be for omitting to tell people of the benefits of running.

Cheers, V-rap.
21/08/2002 at 12:09
My other half doesn't feel the same as me about running, he runs on a treadmill, 3 times a week for 3 miles, no further, no difference, because he has high blood pressure and doesn't want to take medication, in fact he hates having to do it. Tells me I'm crazy, doesn't see why I enter races, and the FLM, well I think divorce proceedings may be started, his last comment on the subject went something like "you can forget about doing a marathon, you will never do it". Now that just makes me all the more determined.
1 to 20 of 99 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.